Up to how many Camera can work with 2x MIPI-CSI of i.MX8M plus?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up to how many Camera can work with 2x MIPI-CSI of i.MX8M plus?

Jump to solution
andy_kim
Contributor IV

Hi, Community

We are seeking for AP chipset solution for SVM(Surround View Monitring).

i.MX8M Plus is one of options we're considering to apply for it.

I wonder how many camera can work simultaneously with 2x MIPI-CSI interface of i.MX8M Plus.

and if i.mx8M plus is not proper for SVM application, what other NXP AP chipsets are good solution for SVM?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution
riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @andy_kim,

The iMX8QM MIPI CSI-2 core controller supports 1 to 4 virtual channels (4 video inputs) per instance, QuadMax EVK can easily interface 8 video stream inputs.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel

View solution in original post

5 Replies
andy_kim
Contributor IV

Dear Ritesh,

Thanks for your confirmation.

Best regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @andy_kim,

I hope you are doing well.

The i.MX8MP supports up to two cameras simultaneously. 8MP MIPI CSI-2 IP does not have the ability to handle more than one video stream per instance. Please refer to this post.

The i.MX8QM and i.MX8QXP has the ability to separate 4-channel camera video using virtual channels to handle multiple input sources in MIPI IP.

Also, the number of cameras supported could depend on what kind of resolution the camera is going to support and the sensor size. Can you please let me know the resolution and sensor megapixels size?

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel

0 Kudos
andy_kim
Contributor IV

Dear Ritesh,

Thank you for your explanation.

As for the separate 4-channel,

4-virtual channel is for each MIPI-CSI port?

When it comes to i.MX 8 QuadMax have 2x MIPI-CSI(4lane),

Then, i.MX 8 QuadMax supports 8 virtual channels or just 4 virtual channel in total for 2x MIPI-CSI?

Best regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @andy_kim,

The iMX8QM MIPI CSI-2 core controller supports 1 to 4 virtual channels (4 video inputs) per instance, QuadMax EVK can easily interface 8 video stream inputs.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel

JoergAlbert
Contributor I
Hi Ritesh,

ERR050058 (in IMX8_1N94W.pdf) says: "Virtual channels 1, 2, and 3 do not work normally for multiplexed cameras. Only single camera operation is supported by the MIPI CSI2 interface". Does this errata apply to the iMX8QM?

Regards,
Joerg
0 Kudos