Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused Ethernet IO's

Jump to solution
harsh_mistry
Contributor I

Hi 

In our custom board design with i.MX8DualXPlus / i.MX8QuadXPlus, based on the MEK, we do not require the Ethernet functionality. The hardware developer guide  does not mention about the i.MX8 QXP unused input/output guidance for ethernet signal IO's.

Can we leave them unconnected as shown below:

enet.JPG

Please advise.

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

harsh.mistry@volansys.com 

Hello,

According to i.MX8 QM/i.MX8 QXP Hardware Developer’s Guide, the following takes place for
Ethernet pins:    digital I/O supplies can be left  unconnected when the associated I/O balls are

not in use (left floating).

CAUTION:
  Driving/connecting associated I/O balls is  prohibited when the supply isn’t powered.

Also, the Ethernet pins can be configured as GPIO, in such case the supply voltages must be applied.

Regards,

Yuri.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

harsh.mistry@volansys.com 

Hello,

According to i.MX8 QM/i.MX8 QXP Hardware Developer’s Guide, the following takes place for
Ethernet pins:    digital I/O supplies can be left  unconnected when the associated I/O balls are

not in use (left floating).

CAUTION:
  Driving/connecting associated I/O balls is  prohibited when the supply isn’t powered.

Also, the Ethernet pins can be configured as GPIO, in such case the supply voltages must be applied.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos