cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to mount rootfs while booting from NAND

Prashanth1z
Contributor II

hi,

I am using IMX28 EVK rev D and trying to boot from NAND device. My nand chip is MT29F2G08ABAEAWP which is 2GB size from micron. I am using Mfgtool to flash the device and trying to boot from it. But while booting i get errors while mountinig the root file system as below.

VFS: Mounted root (ubifs filesystem) on device 0:14.
Freeing init memory: 160K
init started: BusyBox v1.15.0 ()
starting pid 1122, tty '': '/etc/rc.d/rcS'
Mounting /proc and /sys
mount: permission denied. (are you root?)
Setting the hostname to freescale
hostname: sethostname: Operation not permitted
Mounting filesystems
mount: mounting shm on /dev/shm failed: No such file or directory
cat: can't open '/proc/cmdline': No such file or directory
Starting inetd:
chown: /home/user/.rhosts: Operation not permitted
chown: /home/user: Operation not permitted
chown: /home/user: Operation not permitted
cat: can't open '/proc/devices': No such file or directory

I created the ubi.img file manually and trying to flash it by 'nandwrite' utility, however i derived the files from LTIB.

Attached are the ulc.xml that i am using to flash to nand device and the complete log i received while booting.

I don;t have a clue where to look for the issue. Please advice......

Thanks in advance.

Prashanth

Original Attachment has been moved to: 333-ucl.xml

Labels (1)
6 Replies

GabrielSartori
Contributor II

Sorry!

It was something related with my hw design! I enable pull up in some GPMI pins.

I hope you can find what is going on! :/

Gabriel Sartori

0 Kudos

GabrielSartori
Contributor II

Hi,

I don't know if it helps but this error according to error codes header file means: "Unable to find FCB".

I think I already had this issue and I have solved after made a driver that changed something in OCTP registers.

I will try to remember exactly what I did and I let you know.

Maybe this info gives something to look at.

I hope it helps.

0 Kudos

Prashanth1z
Contributor II

ok,

So i have figured out the solution for the above issue. the problem was with the file ownership. I have changed the ownership of all the files of root filesystem to my user name and it worked. I was finally able to boot from NAND.

But there is another problem that I ran into. After flashing the NAND, on the first boot things work perfectly fine. But when I hit reset, the board won't boot from NAND and gives me error code 0x80508002 after that for every reset. I don;t understand wht's going wrong with it. is it that mounting the rootfs is disturbing the boot partition ??.

Can someone help me in this regards, Attahced is the log i have taken while flashing the nand and booting.

thanks

prashanth

robertsmigielsk
Contributor II

I had a similar problem on first boot from a micro SD card on an iMX6 based MarS board. Thanks for the suggestion to check RFS file ownership.

I ran

sudo chown -R root /media/robert/rootfs/

and

sudo chgrp -R root /media/robert/rootfs/

sync

Installed the micro SD card, and the board boots properly, issue wiht "mount: permission denied. (are you root?)" is solved!

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Prashanth1z
Contributor II

hi Gabriel,

Thanks for the reply,

I believe i am successful in writing the image and while booting the kernel is able to mount the root file system. But the only problem is when is starts to mount directories under the root directory. that's where i am stuck. :( 

From the log the rootfs is mounted correctly and i believe it mean there's no issues with writing the image to NAND.

But this problem is a bit strange, as it asks for root while mounting the rootfs itself.

regards,

Prashanth G

0 Kudos

GabrielSartori
Contributor II

Sorry about my poor english.

I think you cannot write ubi image in a straightforward way using nandwrite as you can see in section Why do I have to use ubiformat in this link: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html

I followed Robert Girard instructions in this links and it worked just fine.

http://imxcommunity.org/forum/topics/imx28-nand-boot?id=4103961%3ATopic%3A12605&page=5#comments

I hope it helps!

Gabriel Sartori

0 Kudos