Unable to look up git.yoctoproject.org (port 9418) (Name or service not known)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to look up git.yoctoproject.org (port 9418) (Name or service not known)

Raana
Contributor III

Dear Team,

Right now I'm trying to download and build the Yocto in my Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit PC.

There, I'm facing below error when I'm giving 'repo sync'

fatal: Unable to look up git.yoctoproject.org (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
fatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
fatal: Unable to look up git.yoctoproject.org (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch meta-freescale from git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-freescale
Fetching projects:  11% (1/9) meta-freescalefatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch meta-freescale-distro from git://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale-distro
Fetching projects:  22% (2/9) meta-freescale-distrofatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch meta-browser from git://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser
Fetching projects:  33% (3/9) meta-browserfatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch meta-openembedded from git://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded
Fetching projects:  44% (4/9) meta-openembeddedfatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch meta-freescale-3rdparty from git://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale-3rdparty
Fetching projects:  55% (5/9) meta-freescale-3rdpartyfatal: Unable to look up git.yoctoproject.org (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch fsl-community-bsp-base from git://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-base
Fetching projects:  66% (6/9) fsl-community-bsp-basefatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (Name or service not known)
error: Cannot fetch poky from git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky
Fetching projects:  77% (7/9) poky  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   145  100   145    0     0    455      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   457
100 15.2M  100 15.2M    0     0  3082k      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:-- 3433k
Receiving objects: 100% (177629/177629), 15.24 MiB | 35.97 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (123151/123151), done.

Why this issue is coming ?

What 'port 9418' meant ?

I  think this may be because of my network. But, I don't know how to prove and resolve that.

Note : I have already built successfully with this same PC configuration in some other PC earlier. But this time, it's newly configured PC.

Please guide me to move further.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

J.P.Raja

0 Kudos
4 Replies

ALiS_at_Bosch
Contributor I

Have you checked if you have corporate proxy? This could be the reason why you probably can access git.yoctoproject.org from your browser, but not from the git command line.

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Raana,

The problem you encountered is obviously caused by the network failure, because it seems that your PC cannot access the Internet.

>>I think this may be because of my network. But, I don't know how to prove and resolve that.

You have many ways to verify that your PC can access the Internet. Using a browser, you can visit any web address to check whether there is a problem with your network. Even Ping www.github.com on the command line can verify the network.

Few users fail in repo sync, most of which are caused by fetch during compilation.

Have a nice day!
BR,
Weidong
0 Kudos

Raana
Contributor III

Hi Weidong,

Thanks for your reply.

Network is there in my PC. Browser is working. Ping also working fine with my colleague IP address.

But ping is getting fail while pinging github.com

$ ping www.github.com
ping: www.github.com: Name or service not known

This is my error.

It's working fine when I'm taking 'source' directory from already compiled Yocto.
It's giving error when I start form initial. Like, from 'repo init' and 'repo sync'

I hope you understand my issue. Please guide me to move further.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

J.P.Rajaa

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Raana,

I don't know what's wrong with your network. No user has ever encountered problems with repo sync and repo init. There are many software packages that need to be downloaded from github.com. If your network problem is not solved, you cannot download Linux BSP.

pastedImage_1.png

I just compiled l4.19.35_1.1.0 BSP on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. This is the fifth time I compiled it. I have never had repo init and repo sync problems.

[comment]

If you fail to compile BSP in the company, we suggest you try it at home

Have a nice day!

BR,

weidong

0 Kudos