Unable to boot from the QuadSPI memory on the i.MX 6 Solo X Sabre-sd eval board.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to boot from the QuadSPI memory on the i.MX 6 Solo X Sabre-sd eval board.

kambizdonna
Contributor I

I do have a working SD card that has a newly built U-boot, .dtb files and zImage file running 3.14.52-1.1.0_ga release of the kernel  and u-boot 2015.04.

I am trying to load a u-boot image on to the QSPI memory that is on the eval board.

Here is what I have done:

- Added the following line to the end of conf/local.conf file : "UBOOT_CONFIG = "qspi2" "

- Built a new u-boot.imx file by running the following command:

MACHINE=imx6sxsabresd bitbake -c deploy u-boot-imx

this is being done in the same build tree as the one used previously to build linux and the original uboot for the SD card.

- This created a new u-boot.imx file which was copied to the VFAT partition of the SD card and renamed as "m4_qspi.bin"

- booted the Eval board to the SD card and copied the m4_qspi.bin file to the QuadSPI memory as follow:

run update_m4_from_sd

which produced the following results showing that it was successfully copied:

=> run update_m4_from_sd

SF: Detected N25Q256 with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 4 KiB, total 32 MiB

reading m4_qspi.bin

383024 bytes read in 74 ms (4.9 MiB/s)

SF: 393216 bytes @ 0x0 Erased: OK

SF: 383024 bytes @ 0x0 Written: OK

=>

- Turned off the board and change the dip switch settings for SW10,11 and sw12 to the following :

SW10: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

SW11: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

SW12: 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0

- Turned the power on and nothing happens on the serial port.

Any Suggestions or corrections of this procedure is really appreciated.

Kambiz.

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Here are several common suggestions regarding to QSPI boot:

1. Please check SRC_SBMR1 register of the i.MX6 SX (say, with a JTAG debugger)

"The Boot Mode register (SBMR) contains bits that reflect the status of Boot Mode Pins of the chip."

2. Please verify if any QSPI accesses are provided during boot.

3. Please try to fully erase the QSPI before writing it.

Have a great day,

Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kambizdonna
Contributor I

Hi Victor,

I am trying to setup a Debugger to try your suggestions. I will let you know if this was the issue or not as soon as

I can get something going?

BTW, any suggestion on the debugger of choice for this chip?

Thanks for your input,

Kambiz.

0 Kudos