Uart LV-TTL

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uart LV-TTL

rfariasc
Contributor I

Hi, i want to implement a Uart LV-TTL (3.3V), something like in the Raspberri Pi (only TX and RX, like the picture below) in a imx6. I was wondering if i could use pins directly connected to the SoC (with the proper voltage, off course), and get the same results as in the raspberry.

Image2.png

i have seen some schematics where the uart is connected to a RS232 port with more pins

Image1.png

and i´m confused, will it work if i only use TXD and RXD directly connected from the SoC?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

It is possible using direct connection between UARTs.

The i.MX6 UART TX is output and can be connected directly to Raspberri UART RX (input).

The i.MX6 UART RX is input and can be connected directly to Raspberri UART TX (output).

The main problem of similar connection happens if an UART RX will be configured as GPIO output by mistake. It produces collision between TX and this GPIO output.

Therefore often low power serial resistor often is used on this line. This resistor is used as fuse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

It is possible using direct connection between UARTs.

The i.MX6 UART TX is output and can be connected directly to Raspberri UART RX (input).

The i.MX6 UART RX is input and can be connected directly to Raspberri UART TX (output).

The main problem of similar connection happens if an UART RX will be configured as GPIO output by mistake. It produces collision between TX and this GPIO output.

Therefore often low power serial resistor often is used on this line. This resistor is used as fuse.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos