USB camera and the imx6slevk (i.mx6 solo lite evaluation kit)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB camera and the imx6slevk (i.mx6 solo lite evaluation kit)

gianpaolocugola
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using an imx6slevk board with yocto 3.10.17_1.0.0 GA (I also tried 3.10.17_1.0.2).

I successfully compiled and installed several yocto images and included several additional packages into those images, including:

gst-fsl-plugin, gst-meta-base, gstreamer, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad

but in no case I was able to have the v4l2src plugin that is required to use an USB camera with gstreamer, according to several documents, including this one: Using a USB Camera with GStreamer

Notice that my camera gets perfectly recognized by the kernel (this is what dmesg says and it is also confirmed by the fact that the /dev/video1 file appears when I plug the camera): What I am missing is the right gstreamer plugin to access it.

Any suggestion? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

G.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

gianpaolocugola
Contributor I

No one has any suggestion? No one using an usb camera and having the problem that the gstreamer v4l2src plugin do not get compiled in in yocto 3.10.17?

Please help.

Thanks

G.

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I have not tried it out, but are you getting a compiling error when enabling USB Video Class (UVC)?

Or   gst-launch v4l2src ! mfw_v4lsink generates an error?

Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos

gianpaolocugola
Contributor I

Hi Alejandro,

actually, UVC support is correctly compiled into the kernel and in fact when I plug my USB camera in, it is correctly recognized (I get the expected messages from the kernel in "dmesg" and the /dev/video1 file appears).

The problem I have is with the:

gst-launch v4l2src ! mfw_v4lsink

command, which returns an error saying that the plugin v4l2src is missing and the plugin is indeed not listed if I execute the command gst-inspect.

Notice that packages gst-fsl-plugin, gst-meta-base, gstreamer, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad are all included into my image and no compilation errors occurs on those packages while building the image.

Any suggestion (thanks for your help)?

G.

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Can you try with this:

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! mfw_v4lsink

Let me try to reproduce the error on my side.  And please let me know your results.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos

gianpaolocugola
Contributor I

Dear Alejandro,

as I said, my problem is not with the device but with the v4l2src plugin, which is apparently missing. Here is what the command you suggested returns:

ERROR: pipeline could not be constructed: no element "v4l2src"

and here is the result of invoking "gst-inspect | grep v4":

v4lsink.imx:  mfw_v4lsink: v4l2 video sink

v4lsrc.imx:  mfw_v4lsrc: v4l2 based camera src

typefindfunctions: application/x-yuv4mpeg: y4m

Reproducing my situation is very easy; here are the steps you have to follow...

1. start from a just installed ubuntu 14.04 VM (I do not know if the ubuntu version is relevant), download and install "repo" as explained into the freescale docs

2. mkdir fsl-release-bsp; cd fsl-release-bsp; git config --global user.name "Your Name"; git config --global user.email "Your Email";

3. repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.10.17-1.0.2_ga

4. MACHINE=imx6slevk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-dfb -e dfb

5. add the following lines to the local.conf

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " qt4-embedded directfb gst-fsl-plugin gst-meta-base gstreamer gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good gst-plugins-bad"

IMAGE_FSTYPES="tar.bz2 ext3 sdcard"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_jpeg = "jpeg"

INHERIT += "rm_work"

6. bitbake core-image-base

7. wait for compilation to end (no errors)

8. dd the core-image-base-imx6slevk.sdcard file to an sdcard, insert it into a brand new imx6 solo evaluation kit board just arrived from freescale :-) and start it

Have you been able to reproduce the problem? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

G.

0 Kudos

gianpaolocugola
Contributor I

Any news? Anyone having the same issue?

Sincerely

G.

0 Kudos