Theta JC for the i.mx6 dual lite processor and app to see GPU load?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theta JC for the i.mx6 dual lite processor and app to see GPU load?

Tom1z
Contributor I

I have a module that is using the i.Mx6 processor.   If I run the processor at my desk with a app that uses 25% cpu (used Top app to get this number)  and check the temperature of the case it is 44C (temperature varies across the lid).  The internal temperature is around 60C (cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp ).  

So if I had the junction the Case number I could figure out roughly how many watts my processor is using at a 25% load.  Also is there any linux app that will show me GPU load?

Image of board.jpg

Thanks

Tom

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Tom

for Junction to Case coefficient one can check  Table 7. Thermal Resistance Data

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX6SDLCEC.pdf 

AN4579 i.MX6 Series Thermal Management Guidelines

http://cache.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4579.pdf 

for gpu one can look at

IDE - Debug, Compile and Build Tools (15)
i.MX6D/Q/DL/S/SX GPU Tools-5.0.11P4.1
http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Tom1z
Contributor I

Igor,

Looking at Table 7 it list various thermal items.

Junction to Board = 14 C/W,         Junction to Case = 6 C/W    Junction to Package top = 2 C/W...

Not sure how to apply these items....

So in my test of internal temp = 60 and top of BGA = 44

1. Is the top of the bga package consider the Case? 

2. Since I see a delta for about 15 C between internal and top does that means the processor is doing over 2 watts????

This seems unlikely since I am only loading the cpu at 25 % with a simple app that is reading the serial port and scrolling the received HEX data on the screen.  So I am guessing, I am misunderstanding how to use these numbers.

In regards to the GPU tools,  I tried to download them but it keeps going to some registration page "Registration  "   and keeps asking "In order to complete your transaction, please update your Profile with the required information below. "

I have filled something in on every stared  field but it keeps coming back to that page.   I am guessing it does not like what is in one of the fields but since it does not highlight which field is causing the problem I have NO idea how to fix it.  

So who do I contact for these web issues?

Lastly I do not see my question or your response on the i.mx community page.   So where is it? 

"i.MX Community "  (I did go forward a few pages and still did not see it.)

I only found your reply by logging in and pressing the bell icon. 

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos