cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The conditions which change to Serial-Download-Mode

george
Senior Contributor II

Dear All,

My customer are constructing the manufacturing process of the product using current i.MX6-Solo.

Their product is boot from parallel NOR-Flash via EIM interface.

When nothing is being written to NOR-flash (all contents 0xFF) in the Internal Boot Mode, We thought that it switches over boot from NOR-flash to Serial-Download-Mode.

However, their board does not switch over to Serial-Download-Mode. *PC does not detect USB-Device.

Once writing a program into NOR using Serial-Downloader, of course, the board is correctly boot from NOR-flash.

Doesn't i.MX6-Solo switch over to Serial-downloader, when reading 0xFF from NOR-Flash in boot?

Do my customer have to change Boot-Mode switch setting on the board in a manufacturing process?

Best Regards,

George

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

George, hello !

If (hardware selected) boot device fails, the i.MX6 can try boot SD / MMC in so called

SD / MMC Manufacture mode before applying to serial (USB) boot.

Please look at section 8.11 (SD/MMC Manufacture Mode) of the  IMX6SDLRM (Rev. 2, 04/2015)

for details. It is supported in i.MX6SDL and i.MX6SL. However, it is not available on i.MX6DQ.

So, please try to configure BOOT_MODE[1:0] pins for Serial Downloader mode.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

george
Senior Contributor II

Dear Yuri,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I checked Section 8.11.

That is, if SD1_CD and SD2_CD are inactivities in the case of my customer, it will switch over to Serial-download-mode.

Is my understanding correct?

BR,

George

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes.
Note, there are differences between i.MX6SDL and i.MX6SL:

1. In MX6SDL both SD1 and SD2 are used for Manufacturing, the pins used for SD1_CD is GPIO_1 and SD2_CD is GPIO_4
  2. In MX6SL only SD1 is used for CD, the pin used for CD signal is KEY_ROW7"

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

george
Senior Contributor II

Dear Yuri,

I am sorry that a reply is delayed.

My customer checked that each CD was not Active.

However, their board does not switch over to Serial-Download-Mode.

Please let me know if you came up with something our mistake.

Best Regards,

George

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

George, hi !

> Do my customer have to change Boot-Mode switch setting on the board in a manufacturing process?

Looks like this is the only solution for the case.

Regards,
Yuri.

0 Kudos

george
Senior Contributor II

Yuri,

Umm.. I think so too.

However, my customer feels uneasy.

The behavior differs from the behavior imagined in the design.

They are hesitating at the mass-production start, leaving an issue on their board.

Please let me check once again.

When the available data for boot are not got from NOR-Flash, does it switch over to SD/MMC Manufacture Mode or Serial Download mode.

Is this correct as device behavior?

BR,

George

0 Kudos