The LP SNVS RTC in the iMX6ULL what is the story about it?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The LP SNVS RTC in the iMX6ULL what is the story about it?

Jump to solution
henrideveer
Contributor III

According to this thread:  https://community.nxp.com/thread/456977 the LP RTC does not exist in the i.MX6ULL.
Well, I observed that in the datasheet the registers LPSRTCMR (offset 0x50) and LPSRTCLR (offset 0x54) indeed are not present/documented (they are documented in the i.MX6UL).

This thread also mentions the use of the RTC for the ULL, but not that it doesn't exist: https://community.nxp.com/thread/481779

But now the fun part: If I readout those registers they seem to work, also the rtc-snvs driver looks to be working.
So it seems the LP RTC is present in the ULL (at least the one I have: MCIMX6Y2CVM08AA =industrial 792 MHz).
What I also saw is that the imx6ull.dtsi still contains the section "snvs-rtc-lp".
I would expect that it would have been removed when this RTC is absent?
So why was that not removed from the dtsi if its absent? (We use the linux-imx_4.1.15 branch)

So my questions:
- Why is this working?
- Is it a documentation error and the LP RTC is available as intended?
- Is is a chip design issue that it was forgotten to remove the functionality of from the chip itself?
- Is there a plan to remove the LP RTC from the chip in a future version?

It all boils down to the question: When I start using the LP RTC how big is the risk that in a newer production batch the LP RTC will "vanish"?

Regards,

Henri

Note: Since probably nobody is going to read a closed/answered thread (456977) I opened this new question on this subject. I will refer to this question in the other thread and remove it there.

And by the way: There is no Category for i.MX6ULL, only the i.MX6UL to select for posting questions!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henri

I confirmed that thread/456977 was already escalated internally and there was

confirmation for update on future release of the Reference Manual.

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henri

according to Table 1 AN5350 i.MX6ULL Migration Guide there is no software change

(impact) compared with i.MX6UL when using SNVS LP

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN5350.pdf 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
henrideveer
Contributor III

It says:  "Feature: SNVS_LP,  Change from i.MX 6UL: Updated,  Board impact: None, Software impact: None"

So this means that the document IMX6ULLRM.pdf Rev. 1, 11/2017 is incorrect?

Which department or contact within NXP is responsible for this, so it can be confirmed that this is the really case?

And that they update it to rev 2 :smileyhappy: ofcourse?

Note: I'm talking about the RTC part of the snvs.

Regards,

Henri

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henri

I confirmed that thread/456977 was already escalated internally and there was

confirmation for update on future release of the Reference Manual.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
henrideveer
Contributor III

Hoi Igor,

Thanks for the update, nice to see that it is picked up.

Regards,

Henri

0 Kudos