Support needed for setting up Murata LBEE5CJ1XK WiFi/BT on i.MX 8QuadXPlus MEK running Android 11

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support needed for setting up Murata LBEE5CJ1XK WiFi/BT on i.MX 8QuadXPlus MEK running Android 11

shakirmk
Contributor I

We are stuck trying to bring up WiFi & Bluetooth on i.MX 8QuadXPlus MEK running Android 11. So request NXP/Murata community members to provide your valuable feedback/support here.

Our HW/SW setup:

To start with, we checked out, built and flashed Automotive Android 11 (android_automotive-11.0.0_2.3.0) on our i.MX 8QuadXPlus MEK hardware. It is working fine straight out of the box.
Automotive Android 11 Release: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=11.0.0_2.3.0_AUTO_SOURCE&appType=license

The below debug logs are seen (without any WiFi/BT module inserted yet):
[ 2.128114] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
[ 2.138166] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[ 37.140667] wlan: Loading MWLAN driver
[ 37.145806] wlan: Driver loaded successfully

Our WiFi/BT setup & trials:

We installed Murata LBEE5CJ1XK WiFi/BT module (from Embedded Artists) onto the M.2 connector.
WiFi/BT Installation Guide: https://www.embeddedartists.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Getting-Started-with-M2-modules-and-iMX6_...
The setup document is for Linux, so the only relevant portion was about hardware installation, and it was followed as is.
There is no setup instructions available for Android, and we couldn't find any related kernel/driver patches either.

Android/kernel is not detecting the driver for the WiFi/BT module. There was no relevant changes w.r.t. serial logs, when comparing boot up logs with & without WiFi/BT module.

We found an old Android 7 based document (from Embedded Artist), where several kernel/driver patches were available for this chipset. However those do not apply on Android 11.
https://www.embeddedartists.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/iMX_Getting_started_with_Android_7.pdf
Kindly point us to the latest Android 11 based setup documentation for WiFi/BT module and the relevant kernel/driver patches to be applied.

Summary:

To summarise, these are our specific queries/requests:
- Does the i.MX 8QuadXPlus MEK running Android 11 support Murata LBEE5CJ1XK WiFi/BT module?
- If yes, kindly share the setup documentation and relevant patches.
- If no, kindly guide us on which M.2 WiFi/BT module to be used (along with relevant documentation).

0 Kudos
1 Reply

nxf63675
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @shakirmk,

The module you are trying to use is not supported by default on our BSP, if you still trying to use this one you will need to contact Murata for the proper drivers. The module that supports our BSP is the NXP 88W8997, and you can find more info on 88W8997: 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band 2x2 Wi-Fi.

Also, take a look at the documentation from Android auto to see all the relevant info on the wi-fi support.

Android Automotive OS 

Regards,

Israel.

0 Kudos