cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stripline reference plane discontinuity in reference design

Jump to solution
javiermarto
Contributor II

According i.MX6 SMART DEVICE SYSTEM layout board, it uses 8 layers, my question is about the inner layers, they are striplines with a continuos GND plane in one side but in the other side they have a power layer that is broken A LOT of times (they make a lot of power islands), and some important signals cross those broken planes and that would mean a difference in Zo of the line, which mean reflections, so te integrity of the signal won't be optimal and  when we are talking about RAM data lines and other kind of sensitive lines that's a big problem, so that thats my question, i mean that's the reference design, but in my opinion is against all theory, can some one tell me if i'm wrong or gimme an awnser to orientate me in this matter please.

This is a screenshot of the internal layer 2 and the power plane, there you can see the SoC and the RAM lines.

stripline.JPG.jpg

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Javier

yes you are right, reference design may not always

follow User Guide layout recommendations.

Reason is that reference design is developed on very

early stage, when not all specs/datasheet parameters are formalized.

Also reference design tries to put on board as many capabilities as possible,

sacrificing layout theory.

For customers it is recommended to follow i.MX6 User Guide layout recommendations.

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Javier

yes you are right, reference design may not always

follow User Guide layout recommendations.

Reason is that reference design is developed on very

early stage, when not all specs/datasheet parameters are formalized.

Also reference design tries to put on board as many capabilities as possible,

sacrificing layout theory.

For customers it is recommended to follow i.MX6 User Guide layout recommendations.

Best regards

chip

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos