Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting with the u-boot for new board with imx6 processor as reference

Jump to solution
pinkisaharan
Contributor II

Hi all,

I am working on the u-boot and kernel porting of my board which is designed with having the reference processor imx6D. Can anyone tell me in which code files  I have to make changes to make the u-boot suitable for my board.

Thanks.

Pinki Saharan

Labels (1)
1 Solution
OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

I'd base U-Boot in 2013.04 or upcoming 2013.07 releases. The codebase in U-Boot has improved a lot since 2008.09 release (which is the one used by Freescale in their BSP) and we've been using U-Boot mainline in Yocto BSPs for a while and with great success.

For the kernel, I'd use the linux-imx GIT tree and make the changes in the board files. This all depends on the features you need to use in your product. Kernel mainline would also be a good option but it does not yet provide VPU and GPU features.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pinkisaharan
Contributor II

Thanks Yuri Muhin and Otavio Salvador.

but can u please tell me why VPU and GPU are not present in kernel mainline. I have asked this question regarding the problem facing with vpudec and vpuenc. but no one said that VPU is not provided here in kernel.

Can we enable the vpudec and vpuenc in our board.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

The kernel mainline support is being add but not ready for use yet. I am not following this closely but FabioEstevam might help here.

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This thread started talking about U-boot, now it changed to VPU/GPU in the kernel mainline. Quite a change :-)

As to the original question:

- Take a look at board/freescale/mx6sabresd/mx6sabresd.c, as it supports quad and dual-lite versions.

About VPU/GPU in kernel mainline:

- VPU support is available at: drivers/media/platform/coda.c

- You can use FSL 3.0.35 if you want to use VPU/GPU right now.

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

I'd base U-Boot in 2013.04 or upcoming 2013.07 releases. The codebase in U-Boot has improved a lot since 2008.09 release (which is the one used by Freescale in their BSP) and we've been using U-Boot mainline in Yocto BSPs for a while and with great success.

For the kernel, I'd use the linux-imx GIT tree and make the changes in the board files. This all depends on the features you need to use in your product. Kernel mainline would also be a good option but it does not yet provide VPU and GPU features.

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please use "i.MX_6Dual6Quad_BSP_Porting_Guide.pdf" in Linux documentation.

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.0.35_4.0.0_LINUX_DOCS&location=null&fpsp=1&Pare...