Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting with imx6qp sabre board - emmc flash and boot

Jump to solution
jaffinmk
Contributor III

Hi all

I feel like such a noob asking this question but I have been stuck since I received the imx6qp sabre sdb board.

Scenario : I have built the android images using android users guide. I have the uboot, kernel, system and recovery images ready to flash the emmc. I received the board yesterday. And booted the board from the sd card that was given. I can go into the uboot terminal and kernel terminal of the linux thats on the already provided sd card. Now my confusion is how to flash my images on to the emmc of the board. Im using ubuntu on my host machine so i prefer dd utility than mfgtool.

Now I have connected the board to my host machine with debug usb port and the otg usb port. I can see the debug messages and boot sequence and type in the terminals using minicom utility on my host machine. But I dont understand how I can flash the emmc of the board with the images on my host machine. Connecting the otg port the board doesnt showup in the /dev/ in my host machine either.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

with only otg one needs to use mfg tools or similar application.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sanjeev_
Contributor I

Hi Jaffin,

Did you find the solution for flashing through emmc?

If yes pls do share the method as I m new to this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jaffin

please check attached User Guide sect.5.1.3 Downloading images with dd utility.

Shortly, mfg tools (it is small linux image) executes linux commands from ucl2.xml

files with parameters passed from *.vbs file, like mfgtool2-android-mx6qp-sabresd-emmc.vbs.

So you can try to decipher it and implement them from linux.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
jaffinmk
Contributor III

Hi

How can I download the images from my host linux to the emmc of the sabre board (connected with the otg port)?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

with only otg one needs to use mfg tools or similar application.

jaffinmk
Contributor III

Hi Igor

Thank you for the response. I finally ran it using mfgtool in windows. Booted to android successfully. But I dont prefer switching to windows since I use linux as my development os. Still its a solution if I get stuck.

I noticed mfgtool uses linux commands in the ucl2.xml file. So I will try to interpret it.

Also I had read the document and in the 5.1.3 section, it says to use dd utility to flash into /dev/sdx and its partitions. But the issue was the emmc of the board doesnt show up as any /dev/sdx on my host. Is there special boot mode for mmc flashing because i tried SW6 as 00000000 and 00001100.

0 Kudos