Source and Sink Current on i.MX6 SoloLite

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source and Sink Current on i.MX6 SoloLite

davidboling
Contributor I

I'm trying to find the maximum recommended source and sink currents for pins on the MCIMX6L2EVN10AB when used as GPIO.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have looked in the hardware development guide, reference manual, and datasheet.

Thanks,

dave boling

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are values of load current in the Datasheet(s), which relate to some typical configurations,

in particular - in order to guarantee specified output voltages. For more

accurate (application depended) estimations IBIS models should be applied.

Really the data of i.MX Datasheets specify maximum / minimum voltage levels

in relation with current loads. These current values should not be considered as

maximum allowed ones, just as reasonable. IBIS model provides current-voltage

curves for pins in order to calculate real currents and voltages on pins.

Another case, that corresponding voltage (high, low) levels may not be in

ranges, shown in Datasheet and defined as logical 0 or 1. 

Maximum current values (which do not decrease life time and do not damage the device)

are not specified, because they are application dependent and relate to general thermal

estimations. Say, if a separate pin can sink high current, say greater than 8 mA, this does not

mean that all pins may be loaded (simultaneously) with such values. Strictly speaking the i.MX6

is not intended to be used as high current GPIO source or sink, assuming that special buffers

or I/O expanders should be applied for it.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

vinodhodal
Contributor I

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the clarification.

It is very clear that " MX6 is not intended to be used as high current GPIO source or sink" But while doing FMEA we have a case where a MX6 GPIO output (LOW) is shorted with 3V3 externally. In that case what max sink current will flow? How does it impact MX6?

Is this sink current is limited by GPIO buffer output impedance i.e Sink Current = 3.3/Impedance?

regards

Vinod

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am afraid, we cannot guarantee proper operations after the short circuit cases.

There are no specifications for the max current for "critical" cases.

Nevertheless, the approach "Sink Current = 3.3/Impedance?" may be used for estimations.

Generally : several tens of mA during short time will not cause "mortal"  result.  

Regards,
Yuri.

0 Kudos

vinodhodal
Contributor I

Hi,

Is there any safe limit sink current  or source current value of GPIO that will be OK for IMX6? We want to calculate minimum external series resistance value that will protect from such short circuit cases.

Regards

Vinod

0 Kudos