cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use extended self-refresh tempeture mode for my customer DDR3

azmatliu
Contributor III

Hi community,

I use a new DDR3(W632GU6MB12A) for my customer board(I.MX6D) and the board get stuck at high ambient temperature sometimes.So I measure the temperature of the DDR3 and it is 93 degree. Accordding to the DDR3 data sheet:

The case temperature can not be less than -40 or greater than +95. JEDEC specification require the refresh rate to double when Tcase exceed +85.

So what should I do to fit this feature?Can I just change the configuration of the <DDR3 Script Aid.xlsx>

to double the refresh rate when Tcase come to +85 to +95?

Best Regards,

Azmat

0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Azmat

in general one can change the configuration of the <DDR3 Script Aid.xlsx>,

however linux thermal driver takes care about temperature. It is described

in AN4579 i.MX6 Series Thermal Management Guidelines
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4579.pdf 

Linux driver sets temperature passive trip point in imx_get_sensor_data()

imx_thermal.c\thermal\drivers - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

azmatliu
Contributor III

Hi igor

Thanks for you reply.

The shader clocks will reduce when operational temperature came to passive trip point,but we need full function of GPU in that ambient temperature,so we have to increase the trip point(The hardware and construction can't be changed neither which means there is no extra cooling device can be applied).

Anyway,The only way to fix this problem is to adjust i.Mx6.So can you provide me some guidelines or example to support this use case?I can't even find the location of the DDR3 driver T_T.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Azmat

one can look at busfreq driver and its description in

sect.2.5.4 Dynamic Bus Frequency, sect.2.5.4.4 Source Code Structure

attached Linux Manual.

Best regards
igor