cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOM i.MX 8M Plus and a 1920x720 dual LVDS display

Clean_design
Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I am planning to use an i.MX 8M Plus SOM to display images on a 1920x720 display with 2 LVDS displays:

Clean_design_0-1651588574120.pngClean_design_1-1651588603785.png

Clean_design_2-1651588619272.png

My question is do I need to use both of the SOM LVDS interfaces (in split mode) ? if that's the case do I need to use one LVDS port for odd pixels/pins and the other for the even pixels/pins ?

Also any bsp or design example is more than welcome.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I
0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

This looks like a regular dual-channel LVDS display which should be supported. However, a more interesting aspect of such displays is their pixel mapping which should also be mentioned in the Datasheet (BTW: What exact display make/model is it?). That said there are more or less only two possibilities called JEIDA or VESA and both should be supported.

On this topic, I have an additional question: Table 13-33. Pixel Mapper Modes of the i.MX 8M Plus Applications Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 1, 06/2021 mentions both Dual and Split mode but does not further explain anything about it. What exactly are those?

My understanding is, that the i.MX 8M Plus only supports one single LVDS display. Is that a correct assumption or can two (albeit single-channel only) displays be connected concurrently?

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Dear NXP, we are still waiting on an answer here. Thanks!

0 Kudos

eric_lee1
Contributor II

Hi NXP,

We are also facing the same question on i.mx8mp. It is no problems to support one single channel or one dual-channel lvds display. Could the lvds interface support two single channel lvds display and how?

-Eric

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

i.mx8mp can support two single LVDS up to 720p, what issue do you have?

0 Kudos

eric_lee1
Contributor II

I don't think it is true. i.MX8M Plus can only supports one single-channel or one dual-channel LVDS interface because there is only one lcdif2 controllers. Unlike i.MX6, there are two IPU controllers that can support two separate LVDS displays. If i.MX8M Plus can support two single separate LVDS displays, how do you make device tree to work?

-Eric

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

yes you are right, I was told that imx8mp can support this, but I tested it that imx8mp failed with this, so imx8mp only can support one display with dual channel