Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for MX28 development.

Jump to solution
RandyGraham
Contributor IV

Hello,

I am new to the i.mx family and am looking for a few general recommendations so I get started off in the right direction.

So far I have built linux 2.6.35 using LTIB and have it running on my M28 EVK.

My first question is, should I stick with LTIB or are there better BSP-build alternatives for i.mx28 (e.g. ptxdist, YOCTO), assuming I'll need to move to a 3.x kernel at some point ?

Next question is, I am developing an app for my MX28 EVK board that needs to talk to a SPI device on SSP2 and could use some pointers on how to set up the board file and spidev. Also, how is SPI support in the 3.x kernels?

Thanks for any help.

Labels (2)
1 Solution
RandyGraham
Contributor IV

I am successfully using buildroot to build the 3.7-rc1 kernel and rootfs for my m28evk and will stick with that moving forward.

-Randy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandyGraham
Contributor IV

I am successfully using buildroot to build the 3.7-rc1 kernel and rootfs for my m28evk and will stick with that moving forward.

-Randy

0 Kudos
imxcommunitysco
Senior Contributor II

Randy, if your question had been answered, please mark the reply from the person who provide correct answers as 'Correct Answer'. So that we can close the discussion.

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You also can read the BSP Reference Manual for more details. Chapter 21 is talking about the SPI Bus driver.

0 Kudos
YS
Contributor IV

My previous article will some help for spidev configuration on iMX28EVK Linux.

SPI: SPIDEV interface question

Note that iMX28 SPI base clock is fixed to 120MHz and SPI clock is 1/n (n >= 2) of the base clock.

If this is inconvenient, you may try to change base clock at drivers/spi/spi_mxs.c at

static int __init mxs_spi_probe(struct platform_device *dev)

clk_set_rate(ss->clk, 120 * 1000 * 1000)

For spidev usage, there is good description in Linux Kernel document linux-2.6.35.3/Documentation/spi/.

RandyGraham
Contributor IV

Thanks Yuji, this is helpful !

0 Kudos