Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1176 & MIPI-CSI2

Jump to solution
JohnnyK
Contributor I

Hi
In a company making medical equipment, I am working on a platform using i.MX RT1170.
We will use a camera Onsemi AR0234.
The prototype are using MIPI-CSI2 interface and a RGB versions of the camera, but the final version are B/W on parallel interface.

Right now I am working on the prototype, and need to get verified come facts:
1. It is still NOT possible to get RAW images into the chip using MIPI-CSI2?
2. The only 2 formats that works are RGB565 and YUV422 that will be converted into XRGB8888 and XYUV8888?
3. We cannot see our camera can make any of these formats, and since the format are con-verted on the way in, we can not just setup a size/format and “cheat” our picture in, be-cause it will be scrambled in the conversion?
4. The RT116X have the same bug, do you make any other MCU that can be used?
If so, we will look at updating the platform.

I don’t understand why you still haven’t put this information into the errata.
Looking forward to read your response

@johnny

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Unfortunately, we don´t have a software example to do the conversion. However you can refer to SLN-VIZN3D-IOT hardware development guide. There an external IC is used to make the conversion from MIPI to parallel.

If you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnnyK
Contributor I

Would there be any example code for connecting a parallel camera directly to the RT1170?

Thank you for your time.

Br Johnny

0 Kudos
JohnnyK
Contributor I

Hi Omar

Thank you for the reply.

I found a question concerning the conversion of the format here:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/iMXRT1176-MIPI-CSI2-to-UVC-reducing-the-frame-buffer-s-size/m-p...

I have to change the interface from MIPI to parallel, would it be possible to find a code example?

Have a great day.

Br. Johnny

0 Kudos
Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Unfortunately, we don´t have a software example to do the conversion. However you can refer to SLN-VIZN3D-IOT hardware development guide. There an external IC is used to make the conversion from MIPI to parallel.

Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos
Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

Hope you are well.
Unfortunately, MIPI-CSI can´t support raw data. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.
The available data types can be found in chapter 46.3.3 of the reference manual. I do not see convenient converting the data through the RT since besides the reason you stated the CPU load will increase a lot.

This same issue is also present in RT1160, possible workaround is to use an ISP convert chip, eg, AP1302, convert the raw to MIPI CSI interface, then connect to RT1170 MIPI-CSI.
Another option is using i.MX processors with MIPI-CSI2 that can support raw type.

Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos