RT1176 PMIC_ON_REQ goes low after 5mS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1176 PMIC_ON_REQ goes low after 5mS

mckaylund
Contributor I

We are currently verifying that our design meets the power up sequence per the reference manual.  We are bypassing the internal DC/DC and all power rails come up in the correct sequence.  However, we have an intermittent issue that occurs sometimes during a brief power cycle.  The root cause appears to be the RT1176 "PMIC_ON_REQ" going low, about 5 mS after "VDD_SNVS_IN" goes high.

I can't seem to find anywhere in the reference manual that explains the cases when "PMIC_ON_REQ" would go low.  There is one mention of when the "DCDC_IN" goes below 2.6V that will cause “PMIC_ON_REQ to go low.  However, "PMIC_ON_REQ" still goes low and stays low even though “VDD_SNVS_IN” and “DCDC_IN” have remained stable throughout powerup. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mckaylund ,

ON/OFF is used to switch PMIC_REQ_ON to control power modes. A 4.7-kΩ to 10-kΩ series resistor can be used when the current drain is critical.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

mckaylund
Contributor I

Could you expound on your comment about the relationship between ON/OFF and PMIC_REQ_ON?

I have hardware that more consistently shows PMIC_REQ_ON going low after 5mS.  How is the ON/OFF signal linked to the PMIC_REQ_ON dropping low after 5mS after initial power-up?  I haven't seen any specific mention of this behavior related to power sequencing.  The consistency of the 5mS seems like the outcome of some logic rather than a transient voltage/current blip on the ON/OFF or PMIC_REQ_ON. 

I've included two oscilloscope screen captures of our power sequence which also includes the ONOFF signal.  In one capture, I have tied ONOFF to ground via a 6.6K ohm, and the other screen capture is with the ONOFF left unconnected for the MCU internal pullup control.

ONOFF pull down resistor(6.6K).png

ONOFF internal pullup(no connect on our board).png

Could you clarify where the series resistor should be placed: ON/OFF or PMIC_REQ_ON? 

0 Kudos