cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question, i.MX28 hardware design

Aemj
Contributor IV

Dear team,

I would like to ask about the hardware design of i.MX28 board.

My customer is in HW design phase for their own new i.MX28 board, and they have some questions.

Please give your answers to the following questions.

(1)

They want to supply power to ETHER-PHY from VDDIO for their new board. And they already confirmed that the max power consumption for VDDIO is OK. But HW design checklist(i.MX28_HW_DESIGN_CHECKLIST_v1.3.xlsx) says that “The Ethernet PHY cannot be powered by VDDIO.”.

Could you show me why Ether-PHY cannot be powered by VDDIO?

Is it really impossible?

(2)

For their design, the power of i.MX28 is fed from only VDD5V.

In such condition, the customer thinks there is no need to connect any capacitors to DCDC_BATT pin of i.MX28.

Is it true?

(3)

For their design, VDD1P5 of i.MX28 does not feed anything.

In the above condition, they think that there is no need to add capacitors to VDD1P5 pin.

Is it true?

(4)

In the HW design checklist of i.MX28, the following statement is written for the spec of crystal.

“ESR < 50 ohm”

Can I understand that the ESR of crystal should be lower than 50 ohm?

(5)

In the schematic of i.MX28-EVK, the following statement is written as for the routing of EMI_DDR_OPEN - EMI_DDR_OPEN_FB.

“ Short to match trace length to CLK+DATA signals”

Can I understand that the meaning of the statement is as below?

The trace length between EMI_DDR_OPEN and EMI_DDR_OPEN_FB should be same as twice of the length of CLK(or DATA) signal?

They found that the signal lines on EVK are like above.

If there are any documents for the detailed information on this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Miyamoto

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Q1. Could you show me why Ether-PHY cannot be powered by VDDIO?

A1. Generally, this statement is not true. It is possible to supply the Ethernet PHY power from i.MX28 VDDIO rail if the power budget for this rail (max. 250mA current consumption when operating on DCDC) is OK.

Q2. In such condition, the customer thinks there is no need to connect any capacitors to DCDC_BATT pin of i.MX28. Is it true?

A2. There are some special considerations, both hardware and software, for 5V-only powered applications. For details, please refer to the Section 3.1.2 "VDD5V source only" of the attached document.

Q3. In the above condition, they think that there is no need to add capacitors to VDD1P5 pin. Is it true?

A3. Yes.

Q4. Can I understand that the ESR of crystal should be lower than 50 ohm?

A4. Yes.

Q5. The trace length between EMI_DDR_OPEN and EMI_DDR_OPEN_FB should be same as twice of the length of CLK(or DATA) signal?

A5. Yes.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos