Qt/QML Full screen app Development on iMX8

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qt/QML Full screen app Development on iMX8

mdouglas
Contributor II

What is the best way to go about porting a Qt/QML application to iMX8M EVK board?

The Qt/QML app runs full screen and is the only GUI app.

Do I need to use the built-in Wayland-Weston? Or should I use QtWayland to build my own compositor? If so, what platform do I run my own QtWayland compositor on? Is there an underlying platform suitable for running this available - I'd like to be able to use the GPU.

I started by building

DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mqevk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-wayland

bitbake fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx

and then built the SD Card and the SDK. Interesting that the sysroot in the SDK contains Qt Quick Controls 2, but the rootfs on the SD Card does not.

I managed to get some Qt Apps running under Wayland/Weston desktop when I connect a monitor to the HDMI port. I don't care about the desktop, because I need to run fullscreen.

Is this a good way to start? Or should I build Qt from scratch. Any tutorials you could point me to? I see a reasonable amount of information in the iMX6, but only lots of unanswered questions similar to mine for iMX8.

Thanks in advance for your help.

marion

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
3 Replies

grigoritimonen
Contributor II

Did you manage to get it work?

I'm trying to get the only QT application work without any window decorations with no luck.

I have compiled some compositor examples like ivi-compositor, but they all don't start with error message :

Failed to create display (No such file or directory)

I tried to export DISPLAY=:0.0, set various environment variableb, but nothing helps so far.

0 Kudos

mdouglas
Contributor II

I currently have it working on top of weston/wayland.

It runs Qt/QML using QtQuick2ApplicationViewer. Previously, in my case,  on another platform without a window manager, the GUI part of the application was started using QtQuick2ApplicationViewer::showExpanded(). This was causing window decorations to be drawn when running in a window manager like Weston.

Changing this to QtQuick2ApplicationViewer::showFullScreen() made the difference for my case. Eventually, I need to make a custom splash screen that is used prior to Application startup (for the entire boot sequence u-boot, Linux, Weston, etc.)

If you are running Qt with QML, this should work for you. Not sure how this would translate to using Qt with Widgets, in case that is the method you are using.

it's not what I originally set out to do, but if the Weston background wallpaper could be changed to use the same screen as the splash screen in u-boot, Linux, it might work well enough. That way, on boot, I see the splash screen and then the application full screen, and on shutdown, briefly see the splash screen again, which is what I want.

Best,

marion

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi marion,

You need to use Qtwayland to build you own compositor, also need to Qtcreator.

Qt Examples And Tutorials | Qt 5.12 

Building Qt5 for i.MX6 with YOCTO 

Regards

0 Kudos