cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qt GUI performance issue on iMX6

nikhil3karale
Contributor I

Hello All, 

I am working on Qt 5.6.3 based GUI Application running on i.MX6 ULL processor (without GPU) based custom embedded board.

I observed that Qt GUI performance is very poor and sluggish while scrolling the screen or moving from one page to another and it is taking so much time (in seconds) to render the GUI on display.

I am using Yocto 3.0 build and Qt with wayland/weston compositor.

Also i found cpu utilization jumps to more than 50% when i touches on GUI or scrolls the page.

Here is my machine info:-

processor :- iMX6ULL (w/o gpu support)

Yocto build :- 3.0

Qt5 :- version 5.6.3

kernel :- 4.9.207

RAM:- 512 MB

Is there any solution to improve the GUI performance ...?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

pravinyadav
Contributor III

You should be using Qtwidget on x11 right ? in fact QML is not supported on iMX6UL and iMX6ULL because of absence of GPU

Initially I was also facing same performance sluggish problem with QtWidget on iMX6UL but now we are using QtOpenGL and performance is drastically improved but still we are working to improve further.

One more interesting stuff I got on youtube and need to explore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsgtEc1jwVY

They are using linuxfb here but I think its not Yocto Linux

Thanks and Regards
Pravin Yadav

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nikhil Karale,

As you mentioned, the i.MX6ULL does not have a GPU do graphics hardware acceleration is not possible so all processing derived from the GUI will be processed by the CPU (from which there is also just one core, making things worse). I don’t think you can improve the performance other than disabling graphical effects.

My apologies for the inconvenience!

Regtards,

0 Kudos