QSB power

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QSB power

TedMichon
Contributor I

Does anyone have experience getting the power consumption of the QSB down?

Our application does not need any of the audio or video functionality.

At the LINUX prompt the board draws 380 to 500 mA from the 5V main supply. Thats about 2W to 2.5W.

The Freescale app note says that LINUX can draw about 160 mW while playing an MP3 file from SD,

Is there some low power demo code I can run and/or does anyone have experiene reducing the power consumption of the QSB?

Thanks.

-Ted

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

DominicS
Contributor I

Are you using ethernet? if not turn that off by removing ip=dhcp in uboot parameters.

Also, I would check if any update processes are running in the background, to pull kernel packages.

0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
> turn off these leds? A soldering iron, surely....
0 Kudos

FernandoGinezd1
Contributor II
I'm facing the same situation.
My system needs to be in standby (operating by batteries) during some days, and the power consuption is about 360mA (too high). Is there any command (or a driver to access the PMIC) to turn off these leds?
Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos

TedMichon
Contributor I

Thanks Phil. As soon as we have some success building the kernel, we will remove the video as you suggest.

-Ted

0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
(If your system is using a TV mode, rather than VGA, then it does cable detection, so simply removing the cable is enough to turn off at least the output drivers.)
0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
To disable video, remove the video=mxc*** and tve stuff from the kernel command line.
0 Kudos

TedMichon
Contributor I

If I knew how to disable these systems, then I would do so and then read the current. I'm just a hardware guy on this project.

(I was hoping someone had made some measurements and/or computations already.)

-Ted

0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
> I'm more interested in what happens when the video and > audio stuff is disabled OK, try that then. What difference do you see?
0 Kudos

TedMichon
Contributor I

OK, I now understand that cpufreq-info is LINUX command that will provide the current frequency/power trade off info, but I'm more interested in what happens when the video and audio stuff is disabled or removed and when the power supplies are designed more efficiently than in the QSB. How close can I get the 2W that the QSB boots up to in LINUX down to the 160 mW listed in the App note for just processing MP3 video from an SD card. That's a BIG gap!

-Ted

0 Kudos

TedMichon
Contributor I

OK, I'm new to this. What is cpureq-info?

-Ted

0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
What does cpufreq-info show?
0 Kudos

TedMichon
Contributor I

Looks like there is 8 x (5.0-1.4)/470 x 5 = 306 mW just in the LEDs alone.

-Ted

0 Kudos