Problem configuring 2GB DDR3 on i.MX6 Android BSP?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem configuring 2GB DDR3 on i.MX6 Android BSP?

Jump to solution
gerardbucas
Contributor I

We have a design based on the FS sabresd board but instead of 1GB it has 2GB DDR3 memory (also using 64-bit wide bus and a single chip select using 4 x 256Mbx16 DDR3 SDRAM parts - instead of the 4 x 128Mbx16 DDR3 parts used on the FS sabresd SDP).

We have tried many different settings for CS0_END (correct one should be 47h = 3F+8 according to FS FAE IN USA). We also set the correct max memory size in the sabresd kernel file (changed from 1u * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 to 2u * 1024 *1024 * 1024).

Also set register 0x021b0000 to 0x841a0000.

These settings pass the FS DDR_STRESS_TESTER 2GB memory tests with flying colors.

BUT when we boot into Android V13.4 BSP, Android boots up OK and correctly "sees" the 2GB of DDR3 memory BUT when one moves out of the Android lock screen into any other screen (eg: any settings screen) the ouse pointer leaves trailing pounters all over the show which never get erased. When we set memory size back to 1GB settings everythig works great. I have seem 1 other report from someone in China with the same problem and same configuratuon, so we are not alone. Have a look at: any one use 2GB ddr3 with imx6q android bsp? (he also attaches a great screenshot of this "trailing mouse pointer" problem - which is 100% the same as as we are seeing). Same problem occurs on both dual and quad i.MX6.

The only reason I started a new thread here is in the hope that this title will attract a few more hits than the already good question from the gentleman in China.

Has anyone successfully booted Android BSP V13.4 on an iMX6 using 2GB DDR3 memory with a 64-bot wide bus and single chip select, etc.

URGENTLY NEED SOME HELP!

Thanks

Gerard Bucas

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

And here is the DDR3 setup for this board that you can reference:

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/uboot-imx.git/tree/board/freescale/mx6q_sabreauto/flash_he...

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bingking88
Contributor I

0 Kudos
LiuXuegang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Binking and Max,

As Fuzhen and I can't reproduce the issue on our sabreAI board, could you do more try to help us analysis the issue.

First I want to disable 2D hwcomposer to have a try, please follow below steps in console:

1. root@android:/ # cd system/lib/hw/

2. root@android:/system/lib/hw # mount -o remount rw /system

3. root@android:/system/lib/hw # mv hwcomposer_viv.imx6.so hwcomposer_viv.imx6.so.bak

4. root@android:/system/lib/hw # sync

5. root@android:/system/lib/hw # reboot

0 Kudos
LiuXuegang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Summary the conclusion:

1. Confirmed the trailing mouse issue not exist if disable android swap rectangle feature.

2. GPU reserved memory address region should be limited within 2G as GPU command buffer use reserved memory and it can’t accept virtual memory. Our kernel code has this limit memblock_alloc_base(imx6q_gpu_pdata.reserved_mem_size,SZ_4K,SZ_2G) for 2G DDR device for example FSL SabreAI reference board. 

3. fb0base address can be set to > 2G, but there will be some performance drop, so suggest customer not set fb0base > 2G.

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have just looked at the mx6qsabreauto schematics and it seems to have exactly the same DDR3 configuration that you need.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

And here is the DDR3 setup for this board that you can reference:

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/uboot-imx.git/tree/board/freescale/mx6q_sabreauto/flash_he...

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos
omar_ccc
Contributor II

Hi, we followed your suggestion to use mx6qSABREAUTO flash_header.S, and now it is 2GB DDR#, but still has "trailing mouse pointer" problem. Have you any idea?

Regards,

Chi-Chung Chen

0 Kudos
MaxChou
Contributor III

Hi  All

screenshot from ddms, there is no "trailing mouse pointer"

device-2013-02-21-103517.png

photo from my phone,you could see the  "trailing mouse pointer"

IMG_20130221_103458.jpg

does any one could give me some idea about this ?

Sincerely,Max

0 Kudos
fuzhenlin
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Max & Gerard,

Please follow below link to updae GPU lib and driver, and then retry. if problem is still there, please feedback here.

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94481

Best Regards,

Fuzhen

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MX6 SabreAI  supports 2G memory. 2G memory configuration was tested with Android JellyBean on MX6 SabreAI board.  The issue was not observed. Can you please check whether  framebuffer region is overlapped with other reserved memory? Such as GPU memory etc.

0 Kudos