Powering the MSCMMX6DZDK08AB from the OTG UBS VBUS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering the MSCMMX6DZDK08AB from the OTG UBS VBUS

johncheriton
Contributor II

In the iMX Dual and Quad Applications Reference Manual is states that the stand-alone device can be powered by the OTG USB VBUS input but that it requires cooperations between the chip and the external PMIC and to consult NXP for such use.

We are not using a separate PMIC as we're using the MSCMMX6DZDK08AB. As this is the case;

Is it possible to power the unit from the VBUS supply?

What is necessary in the hardware to do so? i.e. what needs to be connected, enabled, held up or down to enable us to power the board from the OTG VBUS supply?

Thanks

2 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

IMX6 VBUS pins are used as i.MX6 USB module supply voltages and may be left floating,
if USB of i.MX6 is not used in design.
  Generally 5V power source can be taken from an external USB connection and used
to provide all the rest supply voltages for i.MX6 with correct power up sequencing.
  Note, there is a 100-mA input current limit in such case. Designers should pay attention to ensure
the 100 mA is sufficient for the total system consumption during cold
boot.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

johncheriton
Contributor II

Thanks Yuri,

I was hoping for a smaller footprint approach but we'll go for simply taking the VBUS input from the external OTG USB connector and regulate our board voltage from there.

Regards

John