Power Supply (imx6SX)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Supply (imx6SX)

abelussi
Contributor III

For an application we produced three prototype boards: two of them mount uC p/n MCIMX6X4EVM10AB, and the third one mounts uC p/n MCIMX6X4AVM08AB. The three boards, except for the different uC part number, are identical and are programmed with the same SW.

The application requires the board to control an LCD display via LVDS and two Ethernet lines.

At specific values of uC junction temperature we observed flickering of the display up to lose completely the image in combination with reduction of Ethernet speed from 500Mbb/s down to 200Mb/s. The failure is systematic although the uC junction temperature at which it occurs is not the same for  the three boards (see table below). During the failure the core frequency seems not to be affected but it remains stable. I point out that the failure occurrence depends on uC temperature not on board or environment temperature.

On these boards we measured unexpected values of the power supply generated by PMIC for VDD_ARM_IN and VDD_SOC_IN core power inputs. The measure was performed at room temperature during normal operation of the boards. These values are summarized, in the table of attached file, together with the data previously detailed.

1- Can you give us any hints which let us find out the cause of this failure?

2- Can this failure be related to the value of power supply of VCC_ARM_IN and VCC_SOC_IN?

3- Are the measured values correct?

4- Are these voltages controlled automatically by uC via I2CBUS connected to PMIC?

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi abelussi

>1- Can you give us any hints which let us find out the cause of this failure?
>2- Can this failure be related to the value of power supply of VCC_ARM_IN and VCC_SOC_IN?

one can check ripples described in Table 2-7.Power and decoupling recommendations

Hardware Development Guide for i.MX 6SoloX Applications Processors - IMX6SXHDG

Just for test one can disable Bus Freq driver described in sect.6.3 Bus frequency scaling

i.MX Linux User’s Guide​

>4- Are these voltages controlled automatically by uC via I2CBUS connected to PMIC?

voltages controlled automatically by by CPU Freq, Bus Freq drivers, described in sect.2.5.3 CPU
Frequency Scaling (CPUFREQ), sect.2.5.4 Dynamic Bus Frequency  i.MX Linux Reference Manual​

>3- Are the measured values correct?

this depends on LDO enabled or not mode, please check:

MCIMX6X4EVM10AB datasheet Table 10. Operating Ranges (entries
"Run Mode:LDO enabled", "Run Mode: LDO bypassed")
i.MX 6SoloX Applications Processors for Consumer Products - Data Sheet

MCIMX6X4AVM08AB datasheet Table 10. Operating Ranges
i.MX 6SoloX Automotive and Infotainment Applications Processors - Data Sheet

LDO enabled is defined by dts property "fsl,ldo-bypass":
https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6sx-sdb-ldo.dts?h=imx...

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6sx-sdb.dtsi?h=imx_5....

Note, as MCIMX6X4AVM08AB has max. operating frequency 800MHz, dts entries

"&cpu0 { operating-points =.." should be adjusted appropriately.

&cpu0 {
	operating-points = <
		/* kHz    uV */
		996000  1250000
		792000  1175000
		396000  1075000
		198000	975000
		>;
	fsl,soc-operating-points = <
		/* ARM kHz      SOC uV */
		996000	1175000
		792000	1175000