cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Consumed under Standby with WOL Enable

B_K_Ankur
Contributor IV

Hello Friends,

I am having troubles with Standby to work consistently but I have question regarding the Power Consumption under standby state.

As per current statistics: Under Standby Condition: The board consumes 0.4 W

When I enabled Wake On LAN, the Consumption goes to 1.0 W which is 0.6 W increase. Please find the attached kernel patch to enable WOL for I.MX28.

Here by I would like to know:

1. Ideally what is be the power consumption for I.MX280 when goes into Standby mode with WOL enable?
  2. Is there any thing I can perform to optimize the power consumption while WOL is enable?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Ankur.

Original Attachment has been moved to: 0016-Added_Support_for_WakeOnLan.patch.zip

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The safest approximation would be achieved by using the Power Calculator Excel Sheet (attached) and enabling the Ethernet module.

When using Wake On LAN the whole Ethernet module has to be enabled in order to trigger a WOL event. This is the reason why there is no much room for optimizing power consumption when enabling this feature.

0 Kudos

B_K_Ankur
Contributor IV

Thank you Gusarambula for your reply and Power Calculator sheet. I have looked into it and found that it states power consumption of I.MX28 at its peak. I am interested to know the power consumption when I.MX28 in standby mode using 5V. Can you please provide similar sheet for standby mode?

Regards,

Ankur

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

There is not an table with this information but I found this regarding an actual measurement of a specific scenario. Hopefully it helps.

____

i.MX28 Standby with DDR2 memory in Self-refresh.

The typical power consumption measured directly from the 3.7V Li-ion battery is 29mW (7.9mA).

Note the power consumption will also depend on the CPU and HBUS clock frequencies. For this test,

the CPU freq = 64MHz, HBUS freq = 64MHz, and DDR2 in self-refresh mode.

This is the power consumed by the MX28 processor, DDR2 memory, and digital supply of the

WVGA display. In this mode, the display backlight is turned off.

___

0 Kudos