cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pins tool generate invalid imx6ull-board.dtsi

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

i'm using Pins tool for i.MX v4. If i try to export a dtsi file for a custom i.MX6 ULL board and use it as template within imx_4.1.15_2.0.0_ga Linux tree i will get parsing issues from the device tree compiler.

After some investigation i found out there are two reasons:

1) All pinfunc defines in the dtsi starts with MX6ULL (like MX6ULL_PAD_CSI_DATA00__USDHC2_DATA0. This is wrong. Only the SNVS pins should start with MX6ULL, the others should start with MX6UL.

2) In case of a pin which is muxed as a UART pin the pins tool generate something like this:

MX6ULL_PAD_UART1_RTS_B__UART1_RTS_B

Such a define doesn't exists nor with a MX6UL prefix. There are 2 possibilities regarding to this file:

MX6UL_PAD_UART1_RTS_B__UART1_DCE_RTS

MX6UL_PAD_UART1_RTS_B__UART1_DTE_CTS

Please fix this.

Best regards

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

According to Pins tool documentation (User_Manual):

“Tool generated board-oriented device tree (DTS) *.dtsi file is only a snippet and not a full device tree file content. There are just basic device tree elements, initial skeleton, and processor-specific "pinfunc.h" includes together with functional groups of fsl, pins = <...> content definitions which provide the initial IOMUXC module configuration according to the tool UI defined pin routing and functional configurations. Content itself must be manually merged together with existing Linux BSP device tree file(s) in order to apply the tool generated pins configuration. This tool also does not generate nor export processor-specific "pinfunc.h" file that is containing definition of all supported DTS pin functional configuration macros. This file is not purposely integrated within the tool output because it is a part of separate Linux BSP support package deliverables.”

IMX6 UART has some specific implementation features; the following thread in Community may be helpful.

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-97509 

Have a great day,

Yuri

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer

button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hello Yuri,

i don't think you understand the issue. I know that the output is only a snippet, but it's still is wrong. I don't think it's the right intension to fix the define names afterwards by the user because they doesn't fit to the pinfunc.h of the i.MX6 ULL BSP.

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The i.MX Pins tool provides source codes and DTS file, but it can be used just as examples / references,
that can be adapted for customer's applications (by customers themselves), since it is hard to 

follow all  Linux releases specifics.  Files, suitable for one Linux release, may be not applied to the next BSP

version without modifications.  

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hello Yuri,

where do i get the information for which BSP version the DTS output of the pins tools is intended?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I am afraid the files, generated by the Pins tool, should be considered just as generalized. 

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos