Pins Tool 2.0 - iMX6SX UART4 pin assignments

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pins Tool 2.0 - iMX6SX UART4 pin assignments

gcarlson
Contributor II

One of my customers have found a puzzling discrepancy on the pin assignments for UART4 using Pin Tools 2.0  (set for MCIMX6XxxVM package)

When in Pins view mode,  UART_RTS_B is assigned to L20_ALT3, and UART_CTS_B is assigned to U19__ALT3.  This matches with the iMX6SX Reference manual.

But when in Peripherals view mode,  the UART_RTS_B and UART_CTS_B assignments are reversed on those two pins.

I installed Pins Tool 2.0 and verified this on my laptop as well.

Not sure if this is related to a different assumption on what the terminal default mode is.....DCE or DTE between those two view modes.  As those pins do indeed switch function depending on if the UART is in DCE or DTE.  But knowing the correct default is useful for the initial layout of the pins.

Screenshots of both PINS view and PERIPHERALS view modes attached as an example.

Gordy Carlson

Avnet FAE - Upstate NY

gordon.carlson@avnet.com

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The i.MX6 SX  RM, Rev. 1, 6/2016, is correct.

CSI_HSYNC , pin L20 in ALT3 mode is UART4_RTS_B, configured via
Pad Mux Register IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_CSI_HSYNC.

CSI_VSYNC, pin U19 in ALT3 mode is UART4_CTS_B, configured via
Pad Mux Register IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_CSI_VSYNC.

As for connections between internal UART module signals and external

SOC pins , please look at Figure 65-2 (UART external signals to module signals

routing with respect to DCE/DTE mode) of IMX6 SX RM.

Have a great day,

Yuri

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button.

Thank you!

0 Kudos

gcarlson
Contributor II

Thanks Yuri,

We suspected the Reference Manual was correct, good confirmation.

This would make the "Peripherals View"  screen on the Pins Tool incorrect for those pins.  This can result in the customer laying out their board incorrectly if not double checked with the reference manual.  Please forward to the team maintaining the Pins Tool for a fix in their next revision.

thanks,

Gordy

p.s. Btw....I am the same Gordy as you assisted at Freescale/NXP.  I've joined Avnet and will continue supporting iMX. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

OK !

~Yuri.

0 Kudos

gcarlson
Contributor II

Customer is asking if the Pins Tool group/engineer will be fixing this in the next revision, and if there is an estimate on when the next release is coming.  Thanks,

Gordy

0 Kudos