PMIC PF3000 inrush current when PWRON is deasserted.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMIC PF3000 inrush current when PWRON is deasserted.

frankyhsu
Contributor III

Hi Support,

We use PF3000 as the power manager unit and we found the same problem that shows in the below thread.

https://community.nxp.com/message/319035 

Our situation is that we use the removable battery and do not have changer in the board design. I mean if the battery is in low battery status, the voltage will be impacted by the power on inrush current. The worst case might reach the under voltage detection to cause the PMIC off. The inrush current is short and the peak is about 2.6A. We see the same value on the IMX7D Saber board.

My question is that how to decrease the inrush current? I have try to add several 22uF caps in the power input but no improvement except I remove some output caps.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Typically, capacitors are placed throughout a design to ensure there are no voltage drops on the supply rails. When power is applied, charging these capacitors can result in an inrush current. This can cause voltage rails to fall out of regulation, resulting in the system entering an undesired state. Additionally, the inrush current can exceed the current carrying capability of board connectors as well as PCB traces, resulting in damaging the system.

You can try to reduce the inrush current by increasing the voltage rise time on the load capacitance this would cause the capacitors charge to slow down.

I can recommend you 3 different methods to do this:

1. Use Soft start voltage regulators.
  2. Use external discrete component circuit.
  3. Use load switches.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

frankyhsu
Contributor III

Hi Jose,

So, currently, there is no method on PMIC to decrease its inrush current and need to add additional component to help it?

0 Kudos