PCIe on i.MX6 Duallite to FPGA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe on i.MX6 Duallite to FPGA

kerose
Contributor I

I need to perform a rapid prototype project for my company which runs off an i.MX6 Duallite processor running under Linux and communicating with an FPGA.  I am flexible on the FPGA at this time - but we will be using the FPGA for high speed measurements on 4 channels.

I would prefer to use an i.MX6 development board and some kind of FPGA development board so that I can begin to conduct a proof of concept.  I don't need 4 ADC channels at this time - the target data rate is 40 megasamples per second.  I will be using a FIFO core on the FPGA - I just want to demonstrate data retrieval in as near real-time as possible on the i.MX6 (and while I will be using an i.MX6 Duallite processor, I am also open to various i.MX6 processors for the sake of this demo).

My first goal is to connect the i.MX6 to the FPGA.  For the record, we are using a Xilinx Spartan 6 on an existing product, but I realize that may not be robust enough for a PCIe core.  I am open to an Altera FPGA as well.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin

there are no restrictions on fpga and as starting point one can check links

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-95014 

https://community.nxp.com/message/624345

Also may be useful to look at Chapter 40 PCI Express Root Complex Driver

attached Linux Manual.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kerose
Contributor I

Unfortunately, the links you give me do not provide much information - is there not a ready-made solution using the PCIe bus in some demo kit/development board?  I see information scattered at different places on the internet, but nothing concrete in how to use this bus.  I don't have time to fiddle with this.  Somebody somewhere knows how to do this.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin

unfortunately there are no additional app notes or ready-made solutions

for fpga, sorry. Note,  NXP has Professional Services for helping to port custom drivers:

http://www.nxp.com/support/nxp-professional-services:PROFESSIONAL-SERVICE

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

kerose
Contributor I

So you are saying that engineers generally don't use the PCIe bus on the i.MX6?  If it is not useful as a port, then why does it exist?  I thought NXP would certainly have a reference design.  Since support does not exist for the PCIe bus on i.MX6, I will have to find another way to perform high speed communications.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin

it was used, but not with fpga, please refer to sect.40.4.2 Tests

attached Linux Manual for tested devices.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

kerose
Contributor I

Thank you! I will look into that.

Best regards

Kevin Rose

AA-AS/EDT4.1-NA

Tel. +1 805 880-9181

0 Kudos