cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCB layout of DDR3

docobo
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm using an iMX53 and I have designed for two DDR3 chips of 2Gb (128M-bit x 16) giving a total of 512MBytes of RAM.

My question is on how to lay out the PCB.

The CPU has the ability to do read and write leveling which means I can use a "fly-by" topology.  But, because i'm using only two RAM chips i'm thinking that it would be far easier to use a balanced line or tree type topology that i would use on DDR2.

What would you advise?

THanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

NicolasIzquierd
Contributor III

Hi Tim

You need to go to:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX53QSB&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab#

and there in "PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS AND SCHEMATICS..." you will find the links to get the files once you login with your user.

Hope this can help you.

Regards

Nicolas

0 Kudos

docobo
Contributor I

Thanks Nicolas.

I found a section in the document "MX53UG.pdf" which says exactly what you said.

What I haven't been able to find is an example layout for the QSB.  Do you know if one is available?

Tim

0 Kudos

NicolasIzquierd
Contributor III

Hi Tim,

My recommendation will be to use the T Configuration, you do not need to adjust the delay of the byte groups later and is more easily balance as you explain, you can get as a reference the 53QSB board available in the freescale to take it as an example how to route your DDR. 

Nicolas

0 Kudos