Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCA9450 I2C voltage levels

Jump to solution
Anand97
Contributor I

Hi,

We are designing i.MX8MN based development board where the I2C bank voltage is fixed to 3.3V due to other sensor modules working at 3.3V. But as per PMIC datasheet, I2C lines are operating at 1.8V. So we wanted to know if the PMIC I2C is capable of operating at 3.3V?

Also we found that the PMIC has a on-chip level translator which was used for 3.3V to 1.8V conversion in reference designs so, whether we can use that as a bridge between PMIC and processor?   

Let us know how to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
florian_arndt
Contributor V

Hello Anand,
regarding your first question ("So we wanted to know if the PMIC I2C is capable of operating at 3.3V?") I can assure you that it is possible to use 3.3V I2C to communicate with the PMIC. We use the same method in our design without problems since 2020.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the integrated level translator as I have no experience with it. Maybe someone else can help you with this.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
florian_arndt
Contributor V

Hello Anand,
regarding your first question ("So we wanted to know if the PMIC I2C is capable of operating at 3.3V?") I can assure you that it is possible to use 3.3V I2C to communicate with the PMIC. We use the same method in our design without problems since 2020.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the integrated level translator as I have no experience with it. Maybe someone else can help you with this.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Anand97
Contributor I

Thanks for the quick response florian.

0 Kudos