cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite UBOOT_CONFIG on imx6ullevk

jupiter_hce
Contributor III

Hi,

For running test on imx6 EVK, it was booting from sdcard as a default UBOOT_CONFIG, now I need to build Yocto image for a customized board based on imx6ull EVK but booting from NAND, the UBOOT_CONFIG should be changed to nand, what is the appropriate configuration to overwrite imx6ullevk UBOOT_CONFIG?

imx6ullevk.conf
UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "sd"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sd] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,sdcard"
UBOOT_CONFIG[mfgtool] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config"

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

Labels (4)
3 Replies

shivanipatel
Senior Contributor II

Hi, jupiter hce

You need to add below lines in respective files to build U-boot for NAND:

• UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"   in "conf/local.conf" file
  • UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"   in "sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-bsp/conf/machine/imx6ull14x14evk.conf" file

Regards,

Shivani

jupiter_hce
Contributor III

Hi Shivani,

Thank you for the tips, that was very helpful, it turns out I need to build a uboot and zImage to run in RAM first, then to burn the kernel and rootfs to NAND. To build a uboot RAM, should I add following configure? What will be the zImage configure for the ramdisk?

• UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand, emmc"   in "conf/local.conf" file
  • UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"  
  • UBOOT_CONFIG[emmc] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_emmc_config"  in "sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-bsp/conf/machine/imx6ull14x14evk.conf" file

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jupiter,

You can see the UBOOT_CONFIG parameter for booting from NAND on the i.MX Yocto Project User’s Guide (part of the BSP release documentation).

The easiest way to do this would be adding the following line to the conf/local.conf file:

UBOOT_CONFIG = \"nand\""

This will override the UBOOT_CONFIG variable. You may also create a new machine configuration file that inherits the imx6ull configuration and overwrites the UBOOT_CONFIG. You may also do this on the u-boot side but I would recommend changing the machine configuration rather than the bootloader recipe. However, there is not just one answer on how to make your own customized Yocto images.

The i.MX Porting Guide is another document that may be of help when working on your customized BSP.

Regards,