Only one CSI camera at a time? MCIMX8M-EVK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only one CSI camera at a time? MCIMX8M-EVK

bineyamtafesse
Contributor II

Is there a reason why the MCIMX8M-EVK device tree files only enable one CSI camera at a time?

The main fsl-imx8mq-evk.dtb only enables CSI for J1502 and disables J1503. 
The MINISASTOCSI quick start guide indicates that fsl-imx8mq-evk-mipi-csi2.dtb should be used to enable J1503. However, this disables J1502. 

Why did the developers chose to enable only one at a time? Is there some multiplexing here going on that I'm missing? My attempts to enable both have not been successful so far #mipi csi

Tags (1)
3 Replies

bineyamtafesse
Contributor II

For anyone who may come across the issue. The two MIPI connectors on the imx8m-evk share the same i2c bus. Therefore two cameras (with the same sensor) cannot be run at the same time on the dev kit. There are device tree files in the build binary to switch from one MIPI camera to another.  

This limitation is also marked on the dev kit schematic. 

0 Kudos

khang_letruong1
Contributor I

Dear bineyamtafesse‌,

The info you provided is important for us and I would like to know where did you find this info, please ?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Khang

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi bineyam

there are no restrictions from i.MX8M side for enabling two cameras, however

based on my findings currently there are no plans to include this feature in nxp bsps.

In general one can apply for additional help to Professional Services

NXP Professional Services|NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos