cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA for iMX6 Yocto

Jump to solution
sajiddalvi
Contributor II

Is there a reference implementation to do OTA upgrades for a yocto distribution on iMX6UL.

When I search for iMX and OTA, I end up with Android OTA questions.

Our image is not android based, but rather uses DISTRO=fsl-imx-x11.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

I wrote an article about SWUpdate few weeks ago. Although SWUpdate is just a framework, you can use it to do some OTA updates:

Using SWUpdate to upgrade your system - Boundary Devices 

However, note that the default Yocto integration is for an update from USB drive. This can easily be modified to grab the update online instead.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary

View solution in original post

4 Replies
amit_ework
Contributor I

Have you tried UpSwift.io ? I think that's what you are looking for. 
I am using them on a quadcopters project - 3000 single board computers based on imx6ul, and it took me a few minutes to install them and start updating/controlling my devices from their dashboard.

0 Kudos
ralphmender
Contributor I

Hi there!

Disclaimer, I am involved with the Mender.io open source project. Mender provides OTA software updates for Yocto-based projects which includes both the management server and the client, supporting both standalone deployments and OTA. You can see more about how Mender works here and read the FAQ here.

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

I wrote an article about SWUpdate few weeks ago. Although SWUpdate is just a framework, you can use it to do some OTA updates:

Using SWUpdate to upgrade your system - Boundary Devices 

However, note that the default Yocto integration is for an update from USB drive. This can easily be modified to grab the update online instead.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Thank you, Gary! The document looks very interesting.

Sajid Dalvi, as you mention there is no much information on OTA upgrades for the Linux BSP as it’s not implemented on the i.MX6 BSP. However, Gary’s document it’s a very good guide on how to implement software upgrades and from there you would just change to a wireless data access to make it OTA.

Regards,

0 Kudos