cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not accurate temperature readings on iMX6ULL Evaluation Kit

alex06
Contributor I

Hello,

I did some temperature testing of the NXP Evaluation Kit for iMX6ULL, using your provided Linux BSP :

Temperature Tested : - Room temperature : 24°C

- CPU - idle surface readings: 33.5°C ;

- SOC temperature - idle mode: 47°C;

- Power consumption of the CPU : 0.464 V;

Can you tell me why is this big difference between the CPU - idle surface readings and the SOC temperature - idle mode (Delta: 13°C) and if the SOC temperature - idle mode readings are correct, why is the SOC temperature so high (47°C) if the power usage is just 0.464V?   

Thanks

Alex

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alex

for temperature measurements one can check

AN4579 i.MX 6 Series Thermal Management Guidelines

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4579.pdf 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

alex06
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

I measured the top case of the CPU using a FLIR thermometer and I had, in idle mode, this value 33.5°C.

I measured the SOC temperature using this command "cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp" and I had, in idle mode, and I had this value 47°C.

The CPU power consumption, in idle mode, is 0.464W.

Why is this temperature difference, if in the AN4579 i.MX 6 Series Thermal Management Guidelines - i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Thermal Characteristics, the Junction to Case (Top) value is 1°C/W??

Thank you.

0 Kudos