cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No HDMI output on MCIMX8QM-CPU Board

Jump to solution
DMoore
Contributor II

I have the MCIMX8QM-CPU development board.  When I boot, I can connect on the serial terminal but no video appears on the HDMI-TX (J6) or LVDS-to-HDMI (J2).

When I try to execute /opt/viv_samples/tiger/tiger, I get the following error:
vdk_create_display(955): wl_display_connect failed
vdkGetDisplay() failed.
CreateWindow() failed.

When I try to execute /opt/imx-gpu-sdk/GLES2/Bloom/Bloom_Wayland, I get the following error:

ERROR: demo setup failed with: wl_display_connect Failure

dmesg reports the following:

[ 2.435435] [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes
[ 2.440468] [drm] Initialized imx-drm 1.0.0 20120507 for display-subsystem on minor 0

My build info from uboot is as follows:

BuildInfo:
- SCFW 550f3079, SECO-FW d7523fe8, IMX-MKIMAGE 1c2277b9, ATF 70fa7bc
- U-Boot 2019.04-4.19.35-1.1.0+g4d377539a1

My linux distro from uname -r is as follows:

4.19.35-1.1.0+g0f9917c56d59

I tried setting the boot arguments to enable the HDMI, but this had no effect:

setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} earlycon=${earlycon},${baudrate} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-32@60'

During boot, I do see this error:

[FAILED] Failed to start Terminate Psplash Boot Screen.

I followed instructions from a thread with the same issue, in order to create my SD card. (https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/How-to-display-with-LVDS-to-HDMI-adapter-card-on-MCIMX8...)

That thread directed me to build an SD card from L4.19.35_1.1.0_images_MX8QMMEK.zip.  I downloaded that zip file, and extracted and used 'dd' to image "imx-image-full-imx8qmmek.wic" to my SD card.  This is the image I have been using.

I have attached my dmesg contents after boot.  Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DMoore
Contributor II

I was able to get video on the HDMI-TX by changing the dtb file in the boot environment.

=>setenv fdt_file fsl-imx8qm-mek-hdmi.dtb

=>saveenv

This was aided by the discussion in this thread: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/HDMI-Output-in-i-MX-8QuadMax/td-p/1087406, although I was going the opposite way from LVDS to HDMI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DMoore
Contributor II

I was able to get video on the HDMI-TX by changing the dtb file in the boot environment.

=>setenv fdt_file fsl-imx8qm-mek-hdmi.dtb

=>saveenv

This was aided by the discussion in this thread: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/HDMI-Output-in-i-MX-8QuadMax/td-p/1087406, although I was going the opposite way from LVDS to HDMI.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David

may be recommended to test with several hdmi lcds and look at below

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/HDMI-DRM-custom-resolution-and-clock-frequency/m-p/1180...

Latest Demo Image  i.MX 8QuadMax MEK​

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
Junjielu
Contributor III

@igorpadykov @DMoore Hi Igor and David

For all EVKs, it looks like HDMI hotplug has issue:  Wayland Terminal will be gone after HDMI cable unplugged first and then re-plugged in.  I guess this issue is a HDMI hotplug related bug. 

Can you double check this issue?

thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
DMoore
Contributor II

Thank you for your help.

I downloaded the release you linked.  It had 2 .wic images in it.

I first burned the imx-image-full-imx8qmmek.wic to the SD card.  It booted but there was no change for the video outputs.  I then burned the imx-image-multimedia-imx8qmmek.wic to the SD card.  The second image did not boot.

I am using a normal Dell HDMI monitor on the board.  It supports 1920x1080 and works on all the normal computers I have without any issues.  I tried a second Dell monitor with a DVI-to-HDMI cable and it also did not work.

I am continuing to look into the logs and error messages for the first build, and will update if I have more info.  But for now, I am still stuck.

0 Kudos