cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Warning: Yocto Failing to Boot core-image-minimal with sdcard image

thomasmorrison
Contributor I

Hi,

1. I have just received a baseline SABRE-SD board which came with Android SD Card and it worksI

Arrow Baseline Sabre SD Kit 

2. I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (with all the regular updates) Guest OS within VMWare Workstation Pro 12.0 environment

3. I have retrieved the Yocto source based upon source retrieved from here:

FSL Community BSP 

4. I built this using Using the default setup line:

source setup-environment build
      bitbake core-image-minimal

5. a sdcard image was built:

core-image-minimal-imx6qsabresd.sdcard.gz

6. I flashed the SD Card (note: in my setup the SD Card is /dev/sda) 

sudo dd if=core-image-minimal-imx6qsabresd.sdcard of=/dev/sda bs=1M 

u. I put this into the sdcard slot and try to power-up and it fails to do anything after the last line...

U-Boot 2016.07+fslc+ge6b4241 (Jan 31 2017 - 19:57:32 -0800)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6Q rev1.5 996 MHz (running at 792 MHz)
CPU: Automotive temperature grade (-40C to 125C) at 21C
Reset cause: POR
Board: MX6-SabreSD
I2C: ready
DRAM: 1 GiB
PMIC: PFUZE100 ID=0x10
MMC: FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1, FSL_SDHC: 2
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

PCI: pcie phy link never came up
auto-detected panel HDMI
Display: HDMI (1024x768)
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: FEC [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1 is current device
reading boot.scr
** Unable to read file boot.scr **
reading zImage
6527280 bytes read in 312 ms (20 MiB/s)
Booting from mmc ...
reading imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dtb
45464 bytes read in 19 ms (2.3 MiB/s)
Kernel image @ 0x12000000 [ 0x000000 - 0x639930 ]
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 18000000
Booting using the fdt blob at 0x18000000
Using Device Tree in place at 18000000, end 1800e197

Starting kernel ...

Any thoughts...

tom

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

thomasmorrison
Contributor I

Thanks Igor for your reply, I was trying to build a non-ga version from scratch...

I am also not a fan of PC based tools for loading mmc cards that are directly attached to the board.

With that said, I may try building the GA version of Yocto - just to see if that goes better....

tom

0 Kudos

thomasmorrison
Contributor I

I think I have more information while looking at the build/tmp/deploy/images/imx6qsabresd  directory

this is the zImage that is booting:

zImage -> zImage--4.1-1.0.x+git0+2fa70a9061-r0-imx6qsabresd-20170204002511.bin

But, it is trying to load:

reading imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dtb

The fdt script is screwed up:

findfdt=if test $fdt_file = undefined; then if test $board_name = SABREAUTO && test $board_rev = MX6QP; then setenv fdt_file imx6qp-sabreauto.dtb; fi; if test $board_name = SABREAUTO && test $board_rev = MX6Q; then setenv fdt_file imx6q-sabreauto.dtb; fi; if test $board_name = SABREAUTO && test $board_rev = MX6DL; then setenv fdt_file imx6dl-sabreauto.dtb; fi; if test $board_name = SABRESD && test $board_rev = MX6QP; then setenv fdt_file imx6qp-sabresd.dtb; fi; if test $board_name = SABRESD && test $board_rev = MX6Q; then setenv fdt_file imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dtb; fi; if test $board_name = SABRESD && test $board_rev = MX6DL; then setenv fdt_file imx6dl-sabresd-ldo.dtb; fi; if test $fdt_file = undefined; then echo WARNING: Could not determine dtb to use; fi; fi;

But, there is a non-ldo dtb file in directory:

zImage-imx6q-sabresd.dtb

I think this is the right one (imx6q-sabresd.dtb)

except when I try this - it has the same failure?

ideas/thoughts?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

sabreauto board can not use ldo-bypass, the reason is WDOG_B pin not connect to external PMIC.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

thomasmorrison
Contributor I

yes - that is why I went around the fdtfind script and hard-coded the dtb to be the imx6q-sabresd.dtb. 

same ending...

0 Kudos

vinodmaverickr0
Contributor IV

I think you are using the i.MX6Q sabresd board not sabreauto board (correct me if I am wrong) .

So in that case I think you don't need to hard code the dtb name in fdt script.

Thanks,

Vinod 

0 Kudos

vinodmaverickr0
Contributor IV

You can check the correct dtb one from your u-boot (somewhere in include/configs/* directory). Because that is the place where you mention the dtb file name for booting.

#if defined(CONFIG_MX6Q)
#define CONFIG_DEFAULT_FDT_FILE "imx6q-sabresd-ldo.dtb"
#elif defined(CONFIG_MX6DL)
#define CONFIG_DEFAULT_FDT_FILE "imx6dl-sabresd-ldo.dtb"

One thing which is looking little wired from your logs.

reading zImage
6527280 bytes read in 312 ms (20 MiB/s)

Generally kernel image size is 4-5MB, but in your case it is somewhere near to 6.5MB. So the size of kernel image can also leads to kernel hang.

Thanks,

Vinod

0 Kudos

thomasmorrison
Contributor I

re: kernel size....

I did nothing but build core-image-sato - nothing custom...

that is what it made...what do you suggest - re-configure linux kernel and disable a few things?

0 Kudos

vinodmaverickr0
Contributor IV

Yes that is my concern. You can try by disabling few of things.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Thomas

one can check i.MX software resources link

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

and start with Linux 4.1.15_1.0.0  Demo Images

http://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_1.0.0_MX6QDLSOLO&appType=license&location=null&Pa... 

http://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS&Parent_nodeId=133769948107170617... 

Use mfg tools for programming (for sd - mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-sdcard-sd.vbs, for emmc - mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-emmc.vbs)

http://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX6_L4.1.15_1.0.0_MFG_TOOL&appType=license&location=null... 

or use sect.4.3.2 Copying the full SD card image attached Linux Guide from Doc package (L4.1.15_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS)

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos