New imx53 QSB Won't Boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New imx53 QSB Won't Boot

SteveBakke
Contributor II

1) I got a QSB, plugged in micro SD card that came with and it won't boot, gets to:

hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found

hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

and hangs.

2) Downloaded newest Ubuntu 11.10 image, burned new SD card, slightly different boot sequence, but hangs same location.

3) Ordered another QSB and exact same problem.

4-10) Switched out power supllies, serial cable, tried with keyboard/mouse connected, not connnected, power hub connected, with and without VGA, with and without Ethernet, .....  Always hangs same spot.

Any ideas.  Did I get two bad boards?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

GiulioBenetti
Contributor I

Hi,

it is because VGA gives 5 volts on a pin.

0 Kudos

DavidLightstone
Contributor I

There has to be something flakey. What I do not know.

I have a full setup

(1) keyboard and mouse to upper USB

(2) VGA to connector

(3) Ethernet to router

(4) Distribution microSD card installed

(5) RS-232 to Windows 7 machine terminal emulator

Apply power

wait to VGA to warm up

Press power button

Boot sequence completes successfully

0 Kudos

SteveBakke
Contributor II

Success!!!!

If anyone else has this problem, here is the key to make it work:

1) Unplug VGA cable

2) Plug in power cable

3) Press power button

4) Let boot for awhile

5) Plug in VGA

Tried two completely different VGA display's same results, so don't think has anything to do with display.  Didn't make any difference if we had USB key/mouse plugged in or not.

0 Kudos

DavidLightstone
Contributor I

You need to clarify the hardware context.When all peripherals except the RS-232 are removed, what happens?

Additionally you need to clarify whether the microSD card was the one provided with the evaluation board or whether you have burned your own image.

0 Kudos

SteveBakke
Contributor II

The serial connection to PC works fine.  All the boot output is displayed on PUTTY on the PC and we can stop the boot and enter Uboot if desired.  It is when the QSB is booting and is displaying boot info that it hangs after it displays:

"usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage"

With that said we did try connecting to both a Mac and PC, using completely different USB-Serial converters and made no difference.

0 Kudos

DavidLightstone
Contributor I

In my initial attempt to power up there were more than a few gliches. All were operator errors. (Here I am not suggesting that you have made these mistakes. Only indicating that I have made them)

(1) My laptop did not have a serial interface, So I was using one of the serial to usb devices. The device driver which came with the serial-to-usb eventually was proven to be incompatible with Windows 7.

(2) Not having a second computer I went out and bought a second USB-to-Serial and modem eliminator. The second one just happened to have a valid driver, and to my surprise the same hardware as the other usb-to-serial.

(3) PuTTY worked just fine as a terminal handler. I was able to test the Serial to USb adapters

PuTTY can log the traffic, and the log can be uploader so we can all know where your boot crashed

(4) I trust that you have not destroyed the image on the microSD card provided with the distribution.

Test 1

If you perform the following test you should see RS-232 traffic within about 5 - 10 seconds

(A) Disconnect all interface devices from the evaluation board

(B) Connect a tested RS-232 interface to the evaluation board

(C) Activate your terminal handler (I used PuTTY in a Window 7 environment)

Setup the RS-232 interface to 115200 baud, 8data 1 stop, no parity

(D) Insert the microSD card into the appropriate socket of the evaluation board

(E) Apply power to the board

(F) Press the board power switch

(G) You should see RS-232 traffic within 5 - 10 seconds

Test 2

Same test as test 1 with the following addition

(A) Connect up a VGA monitor

Full boot takes about 1 minute

You can follow the RS-232 traffic if a failure occurs

Test 3

Same test as test 2 with the foillowing addition

(A) Connect up a Keyboard and mouse to the upper usb connector (I had an old ps2 keyboard, an old ps2 mouse and a ps2 mouse and keyboard to USB adaptor, so I used it successfully)

Test 4

Same test as test 3 with the following addition

(A) connect the ethernet

0 Kudos