Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXP MCU Boot Utility Error Code 10200

Jump to solution
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Good day

I am having problems flashing my multi-core MCUXpresso project to an i.MX RT1176 processor with NXP's MCU Boot Utility. I can flash this exact project by debugging in MCUXpresso via a JTAG probe with no problems.

I can also load any SDK examples to the flash with the MCU Boot Utility. However, when I try to load my project, I get error code 10200 in the terminal of the Boot Utility:

D_Tram23_0-1634809457596.png

D_Tram23_0-1634805880190.png

The second number after the "flash-erase-region" command is vastly different to the number when flashing the SDK's multi-core hello world example (which works):

D_Tram23_1-1634806086322.png

I guess this is the length of the flash to erase?

Hardware: Embedded Artist's RT1176 uCOM board placed on my company's own PCB.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
D_TTSA
Contributor V

All credit for this solution must go to the Embedded Artists' support team, whom I contacted for help with this.

Firstly, change your MCUXpresso project's pre-processor symbols: XIP_HEADER_ENABLE must be set to 0. If you have a multi-core project, you must change this for the master project (the slave project should already be like this). Build your project to generate the updated build output file (.axf).

Secondly, make sure your stack location settings are like the default:

D_Tram23_0-1635165287997.png

The issue I had with the .bin file being too large was because I changed my stack location to "Start". The default is "End".

When using the MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool, in the write tab, select the build output file (.axf) for the "Source Executable Image". The "Start address" will be automatically populated. Next, change "DCD (binary)" to "Custom" and navigate to your target's SDRAM_dcd.bin file, included in the Provisioning Tool's directory. For me, the GUI looks like this:

D_Tram23_2-1635156460565.png

Now you can click on "Build Image", and it will work. Then go to the "Write image" tab, select the build image that you want to use (_nopadding.bin file), click "Start FlashLoader" and then "Write Image".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What is your provided image format? What is the size of image file? What is the link address range of image?

From error code, it seems that the image file size is too large. it exceeds FlexSPI max map region

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Hi @jay_heng 

I have tried all of the .bin, .hex and .s19 file formats - none seem to work.

The hex and s19 files give the following error:

D_Tram23_0-1634887913386.png

Here are the image files, you can see that the .bin file is huge compared to the others:D_Tram23_0-1634887783121.png

Is it possible that my RAM sections are being placed in FLASH,  or something to that effect?

0 Kudos
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The tool doesn't support the image with direct RAM linking section, for such image, you can only debug it in IDE, but cannot flash it.

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

@jay_heng 

Thanks, but I don't do direct RAM linking:

D_Tram23_0-1634889688994.png

"Link application to RAM" is not enabled.

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

I don't think I made a mistake in my memory configuration, but I'm going to put it here just in case it provides more information:

D_Tram23_0-1634897666147.png

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Update: If I try the All-In-One Action for my project, the main window just hangs and the console shows:

D_Tram23_0-1634811455630.png

If I try to do anything after this, the Boot Utility program crashes.

That being said, the reason I was using the Boot Device Memory tab to flash the board (in the original post) was that I couldn't ever get the 'All-In-One Action' to work. 

Even the SDK hello world example project gives an error (nothing shown in console):

D_Tram23_0-1634811876393.png

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
To provide the fastest possible support, I'd highly recommend you to try to use the MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool for testing, as the MCU Boot Utility tool doesn't work stable sometimes.
Have a great day.
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

@jeremyzhou 

This is what happens if I try to use the MCU Secure Provisioning Tool:

D_Tram23_0-1634891219947.png

Anyway, the problem is with the input to these tools.

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

All credit for this solution must go to the Embedded Artists' support team, whom I contacted for help with this.

Firstly, change your MCUXpresso project's pre-processor symbols: XIP_HEADER_ENABLE must be set to 0. If you have a multi-core project, you must change this for the master project (the slave project should already be like this). Build your project to generate the updated build output file (.axf).

Secondly, make sure your stack location settings are like the default:

D_Tram23_0-1635165287997.png

The issue I had with the .bin file being too large was because I changed my stack location to "Start". The default is "End".

When using the MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool, in the write tab, select the build output file (.axf) for the "Source Executable Image". The "Start address" will be automatically populated. Next, change "DCD (binary)" to "Custom" and navigate to your target's SDRAM_dcd.bin file, included in the Provisioning Tool's directory. For me, the GUI looks like this:

D_Tram23_2-1635156460565.png

Now you can click on "Build Image", and it will work. Then go to the "Write image" tab, select the build image that you want to use (_nopadding.bin file), click "Start FlashLoader" and then "Write Image".

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Whether you can share your demo project, then I can try to solve it.

TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos