cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morty iMX6 package is using 1.5x the CPU of the Korgoth BSP

Jump to solution
dougbailey
Contributor III

I am upgrading an iMX6 board to the Linux 4.9.11 based Morty BSP from a Linux 4.1.15 Korgoth BSP.  I have been able to migrate over to systemd and have my applications up and running.

My one problem is that when I do a load testing between the 2 releases, the newer Morty build unit takes 1.5x CPU utilization over the Korgoth build.  

The biggest difference I can see between the two builds i that the new build has an updated kernel and uses systemd vs sysvinit.  Are there any known issues where systemd is particularly inefficient?  

I am now trying to switch back to the sysvinit init manager but cannot get the software to compile.  

I have added the following to my local.conf 

DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = " systemd"

I still get errors similar to:

ERROR: <base dir>/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-sdk/recipes-fsl/packagegroup/packagegroup-qt5-demos.bb: Please ensure that your setting of VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager (systemd) matches the entries enabled in DISTRO_FEATURES

What settings are needed to bring back the familiar sysvinit initialization manager? 

Regards, 

Doug Bailey 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
dougbailey
Contributor III

I just found the solution in the i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide, Rev. L4.9.88_2.0.0-ga, 05/2018 document.

5.6.8 Systemd

Systemd is enabled as default initialization manager. To disable systemd as default, go to the fsl-imx-preferred-env.inc and comment out the systemd section.

Once I commented out the systemd lines, the build performed without error and sysvinit became the initialization manager.

I also had added 

DISTRO_FEATURES_append = "sysvinit "
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "sysvinit"

to my local.conf 

Doug 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Doug Bailey,

I haven’t tested the CPU load in one branch over the other, but if you want to try changing to sysvinit init manager you would need to add it on the following variables:

VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager ?= "sysvinit"

VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts ?= "initscripts"

I haven’t tried it though, so there may be other dependencies that might trigger warnings, but I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos
dougbailey
Contributor III

I just found the solution in the i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide, Rev. L4.9.88_2.0.0-ga, 05/2018 document.

5.6.8 Systemd

Systemd is enabled as default initialization manager. To disable systemd as default, go to the fsl-imx-preferred-env.inc and comment out the systemd section.

Once I commented out the systemd lines, the build performed without error and sysvinit became the initialization manager.

I also had added 

DISTRO_FEATURES_append = "sysvinit "
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "sysvinit"

to my local.conf 

Doug 

0 Kudos