cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor not working for MCIMX8M-EVK

Jump to solution
ondrejbilka
Contributor II

Hello, I tried to use provided binary linux (and preloaded android) on evaluation board but both don't display anything to monitor (tested with iiyama T2252MTS-B5, supports full HD, hdmi on both sides). Is that sw problem or bad hw? System tells that HDMI-A-1 is used. When I tried to plug hdmi to other monitor it wrote HDMI/SP, is that related?

Otherwise system works if i connect with ssh/com port. Unlike X I don't know how to check more with wayland. I only did few tests from what I found on web to get attached error log of weston --tty=1 

There log contains bogus resolutions as maximal for monitor is 1920x1080

Labels (2)
1 Solution
louisryan
Contributor II

Hi Deigo,

I think that is for linux but I did use the video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-32@60 part of it and it is now working for linux.

Here is the u-boot command I used for others with the same issue.

u-boot=> setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-32@60'
u-boot=> boot

Thank you very much Deigo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Can you please try with the below bootargs:

uboot -> setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:3840x2160-32@25'

uboot -> saveenv

uboot -> reboot

Those bootargs worked for me to boot in 4K tv screen.

Moreover, are you powering your board only with the type-c connector?

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
louisryan
Contributor II

Almost same problem here... monitor is ok with Android but does not work with linux

With the imx.6 we put this into uboot to get the display to come up. setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} ${smp} root=/dev/mmcblk2p2 rootwait rw video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24'

but that does not work for imx.8

0 Kudos
diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Can you please tell me the full part number of your i.MX8QM and the what is the revision board that you have.

Moreover, Can you please try with the below bootargs:

U-Boot > setenv bootcmd boota mmc0
U-Boot > setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 earlycon=imxuart,0x30860000,115200 init=/
init video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-32@60 androidboot.zygote=zygote64_32
androidboot.console=ttymxc0 consoleblank=0 androidboot.hardware=freescale cma=800M
androidboot.selinux=permissive
U-Boot > saveenv

Best Regards,

Diego.

ondrejbilka
Contributor II

I was ill and this was investigated by coworker, following is second-hand information:  android works but not linux(we are interested in linux, android was mentioned just to determine if it is hw or sw problem). 

He said that logs said there was no firmware for hdmi for uboot. After bit of searching I found this thread

https://community.nxp.com/thread/468126  where I found to change bootloader with command

dd if=imx-boot-imx8mqevk-sd.bin-flasg-hmdi-spl-uboot of=/dev/sdb bs=1k seek=33

I will write tomorrow if that works, I couldn't access machine today.

0 Kudos
ondrejbilka
Contributor II

I could get hdmi working by compiling yocto from source with boot arguments above.

Also I needed to switch monitor input to hdmi, monitor autodetected that as dvi input.

0 Kudos
louisryan
Contributor II

Hi Deigo,

I was trying to get 4K hdmi output working but I could not get it to work. ( 1920 x 1080 works fine )

I am using NXP i.MX Release Distro 4.9.51-mx8-beta

I have tried a few different options but none work

setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:3840x2160-32@60'
setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:4096x2160-32@60'

setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:3840x2160-32@30'
setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:3840x2160-32@25'

I am using MCIMX8M-EVK part number 700-29615 REV A

And ideas?

Louis

0 Kudos
louisryan
Contributor II

Hi Deigo,

I think that is for linux but I did use the video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-32@60 part of it and it is now working for linux.

Here is the u-boot command I used for others with the same issue.

u-boot=> setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console} root=${mmcroot} video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-32@60'
u-boot=> boot

Thank you very much Deigo.

0 Kudos