Missing command-line commands for iMX53 Linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing command-line commands for iMX53 Linux

GaleAllen
Contributor I

Hello my name is Cameron Johnson, an employee and student of Gale Allen.

I'm currently trying to get some displays working for our iMX53 quick start board and I noticed I'm missing some key resources I need to manipulate the OS. The commands I've notice so far that I'm without are

setenv

saveenv

more may come up later but thats all I've notice so far. I've tried updating the kernal with no luck. Would this fall under the concept of "shell"? From reading the Ubuntu Bible by William von Hagen, bash is the default shell. Do I need to update /bin/bash?

Any feed back will helpful since I am quite unfimilar with Linux in general.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

GaleAllen
Contributor I

Figured it out finally, somehow I missed the concept the U-boot comunicates through serial port.

To those just learning the basics like I am,

U-boot is a bootloader which takes control after the BIOS is done.

You can communicate with U-boot by the use of a serial port to another linux or windows mechanic, a standard 9 pin RS232 cable will work fine.

Using hyper terminal the following COM setting is what you need;

Bits per second: 115200

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

Regards: Cameron Johnson

0 Kudos

GaleAllen
Contributor I

Thank you Krishna Pavan, that document along with others helped clear some of my confusion.

From reading the those documents I realized setenv and savenv are commands for u-boot.

Since then I have been trying to figure out how to enter u-boot in a way that I can modify

some of the startup kernal paramaters.

I'm going to keep working it, thanks again for the information.

Regards: Cameron Johnson

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi Gale Allen,

You can refer to Linux_BSP_iMX53_QSB_Users_Guide.pdf,

You can download it from, freescale website under the Application Procs/i.MXSeries.

There you will have the details about the environment variables, that you need to set, if a display is connected to your board.

Regards :: Krishna pavan

0 Kudos