MfgTool flashing issue on eMMC version 5.0 and 5.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MfgTool flashing issue on eMMC version 5.0 and 5.1

arunkumarjts
Contributor I

We are from Toshiba-TSIP, Bangalore, India, working for Toshiba Memory division.

We are using IMX6 based NXP boards with eMMC device for booting. The kernel version used by IMX6 board is usually 3.0.35, 3.10.17 and 3.14.28 .

The eMMC driver in this kernel version does not support eMMC device of Extended CSD Revision 7 and 8 (For eMMC JEDEC version 5.0 and 5.1).

This issue usually occurs during flashing of the boot images using MfgTool. The flashing of boot images fail on MfgTool.

To make the flashing successful, the firmware uImage used by MfgTool needs to be rebuilt after modifying the Linux kernel version 3.0.35 to support eMMC 5.0 and 5.1 extended CSD revisions, as shown below.

The code from linux-3.10.y branch:

/drivers/mmc/core/mmc.c : Line # 302 :

if (card->ext_csd.rev > 6) {                <-  The '6' has to be replaced with '8'

pr_err("%s: unrecognised EXT_CSD revision %d\n",

mmc_hostname(card->host), card->ext_csd.rev);

err = -EINVAL;

goto out;

}

Only with the above modification, eMMC version 5.0 and 5.1 can be used with IMX6 based boards.

Hence it would be of immense help, if NXP can provide or update MfgTool firmware images with support for eMMC device versions 5.0 and 5.1 in the future.

Best regards,

Arunkumar

0 Kudos
1 Reply

ningli
Contributor III

Hi,

i modfy thihs code .But board can't startup still with error

like this:

do_new_mount 1 type = ext4,flags = 0,mnt_flags = 32, name = /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

mmc0: starting CMD6 arg 03b34b01 flags 0000049d

sdhci [sdhci_irq()]: *** mmc0 got interrupt: 0x00010000

mmc0: req failed (CMD6): -110, retrying...

can you help me?

0 Kudos