Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal Shield of iMX6Q processor.

Jump to solution
fmajeric
Contributor III

Hi,

I've a simple question... :smileyhappy:

I would like to change the metal shield on the top of the iMX6 Quad processor.

(for cooling reasons)

edm1-cf-imx6q-top.png

Can I remove the shield without destroy the Soc ?

Does the SoC works without the metal shield ? It has no Tamper detector or watchdog which forbid this ?

Thank you .

Fabien.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No, there is no any package tamper detection feature implemented in i.MX6Q, However, we still strongly do not recommend to violate the package integrity, since you will damage the silicon die with almost 100% likeliness. But, of course, you can try it on your own risk :-)

Artur

View solution in original post

4 Replies
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The metal shield is the integral part of the i.MX6Quad FCPBGA624 package, and, most likely, you will damage the silicon die, if trying to remove it, leading the part to become non-functional.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fmajeric
Contributor III

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your answer.

You mean the only risk is to damage the silicon die ?

No detectors forbid the i.MX6Quad works normally if I remove the metal shield ?

0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No, there is no any package tamper detection feature implemented in i.MX6Q, However, we still strongly do not recommend to violate the package integrity, since you will damage the silicon die with almost 100% likeliness. But, of course, you can try it on your own risk :-)

Artur

fmajeric
Contributor III

Ok thank you very much these specifications.

I will run the risk... I like to live dangerously :smileyhappy: !

aconnery.png

Have a nice day,

Fabien.