cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum size of the NOR Flash which can be interfaced with IMX6 solo

adityanagal
Contributor III

Hi  ,

I am working over the IMX6 solo which is interfaced with SPI based serial NOR Flash . As per the reference manual , BOOT_CFG4[3] Fuse , it maximum support 3 byte addressing (24-bit) , which simply means maximum 16MB NOR flash can be interfaced with IMX6 . My questions are : -

1. Is there any way to interface 512 MB serial NOR flash(spi based)  to the IMX6 ?

2. if not possible with serial , can we interface 512MB  NOR/NAND Flash over EIM Interface  ?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Aditya Nagal

0 Kudos
1 Reply

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aditya ,

see following, please!

>>1. Is there any way to interface 512 MB serial NOR flash(spi based)  to the IMX6 ?

No, there is not. In current market, there doesn't exist 512MB(Bytes) NOR Flash with SPI interface.

>>2. if not possible with serial , can we interface 512MB  NOR/NAND Flash over EIM Interface  ?

On EIM interface, I.MX6 support 2 Chip Select and 27 address lines, So for each CS, 128MB(Byte) Parallel Nor Flash can be supported, total is 256MB(Byte).

In addition, according to Parallel Nor flash manufactured by Micron, Max capacity is 1Gb(=128MB), so your application/solution must be adjusted.

For NAND FLASH, i.mx6 supports NAND Flash controller, the capacity of NAND Flash is not limited, according to your application, you can only select NAND Flash.

Best Regards,

Wediong

0 Kudos