Maximum image sensor resolution i.MX 8M product family

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum image sensor resolution i.MX 8M product family

spiessep
Contributor I

We're evaluating image sensor compatibility with the products from the i.MX 8/8M product family.

Based on publicly available information (datasheets), I could not find information pertaining the maximum supported image sensor resolution/maximum pixel rate for following i.MX parts:

i.MX 8, i.MX 8X, i.MX 8M, i.MX 8M Nano, i.MX 8M Mini

Could you please indicate for each of these the maximum supported image sensor resolution and pixel rate? i.MX 8M* offerings are the most relevant to get a view on.

For the i.MX8M Plus, I could find following information:

Maximum image sensor resolution: 12Mpix

Maximum pixel rate: 375Mpix/s

I assume the maximum pixel rate rate is per ISP/image sensor or is the total processing capacity of the dual-ISP on the i.MX8M Plus?

Regards

Peter

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

spiessep
Contributor I

Dear Artur,

Thanks for your elaborate response.

A few additional questions from my side:

[1] You mention 4K30fps...but based on the MIPI 6Gbps interface...wouldn't we be able to support close to 4K60fps?

--> 3840 x 2160 x 10bpp x 60fps ~= 5Gbps

I agree 10bpp is less than 12bpp and perhaps we should consider more protocol overhead for MIPI, but still.

[2] Is 4K (3840 x 2160) the true maximum image sensor resolution or could the i.MX processors mentioned support image sensors with even higher resolutions (e.g. 7680 x 4320) and/or different aspect ratios albeit at a lower frame rate?

What would be the true X/Y image sensor resolution limitation for the i.MX processors being mentioned?

[3] Can you indicate the maximum ISP processing capacity (pixel rate) for the i.MX processors being mentioned? The lower bound of the MIPI interface pixel rate and the ISP pixel rate will set the boundary for the maximum frame rate we can achieve.

E.g. for the i.MX 8M Plus, the ISP maximum pixel rate equals 375Mpix/s while it supports 2x 4-lane MIPI with 1.5Gbps/lane (6Gbps per interface)..calculating with 10bpp/12bpp, the resulting pixel rate would be ~500-600Mpix/s...so the lower bound is set by the ISP.

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The i.MX8QuadMax processor has two MIPI-CSI2 image sensor interfaces of 4 lanes each. The supported data throughput is 1.5Gbit/s per lane or totally 6Gbit/s per interface, that allows up to 4K@30fps resolution support per interface.

The i.MX8QuadXPlus processor has one MIPI-CSI2 image sensor interface of 4 lanes each. The supported data throughput is 1.5Gbit/s per lane or totally 6Gbit/s per interface, that allows up to 4K@30fps resolution support per interface.

The i.MX8MQuad processor has two MIPI-CSI2 image sensor interfaces of 4 lanes each. The supported data throughput is 1.5Gbit/s per lane or totally 6Gbit/s per interface, that allows up to 4K@30fps resolution support per interface.

The i.MX8MMini processor has one MIPI-CSI2 image sensor interface of 4 lanes each. The supported data throughput is 1.5Gbit/s per lane or totally 6Gbit/s per interface, that allows up to 4K@30fps resolution support per interface.

The i.MX8MNano processor has one MIPI-CSI2 image sensor interface of 4 lanes each. The supported data throughput is 1.5Gbit/s per lane or totally 6Gbit/s per interface, that allows up to 4K@30fps resolution support per interface.

The i.MX8MPlus processor has two MIPI-CSI2 image sensor interfaces of 4 lanes each. The supported data throughput is 1.5Gbit/s per lane or totally 6Gbit/s per interface, that allows up to 4K@30fps resolution support per interface.

Best Regards,
Artur

0 Kudos

spiessep
Contributor I

Dear Artur,

Thanks for your elaborate response.

A few additional questions from my side:

1. You mention 4K30fps...but based on the 6Gbps interface...wouldn't we be able to support close to 4K60fps?

3840 x 2160 x 10bpp x 60fps ~= 5Gbps

I agree 10bpp is less than 12bpp and perhaps we should consider more protocol overhead for MIPI, but still...

2. Is 4K (3840 x 2160) the true maximum image sensor resolution or could the i.MX processors mentioned support image sensors with even higher resolutions (e.g. 7680 x 4320) and/or different aspect ratios albeit at a lower frame rate?

What would be the true X/Y image sensor resolution limitation for the i.MX processors being mentioned?

3. Can you indicate the maximum ISP processing capacity (pixel rate) for the i.MX processors being mentioned? The lower bound of the MIPI interface pixel rate and the ISP pixel rate will set the boundary for the maximum frame rate we can achieve.

E.g. for the i.MX 8M Plus, the ISP maximum pixel rate equals 375Mpix/s while it supports 2x 4-lane MIPI with 1.5Gbps/lane (6Gbps per interface)..calculating with 10bpp/12bpp, the resulting pixel rate would be ~500-600Mpix/s...so the lower bound is set by the ISP.

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos