cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturing Image fails for 512 MB System on iMX6ULL Board

bijunair
Contributor II

Hi,

We are working on a board which is based on iMX6ULL with 1GB Memory. When i used the Manufacturing image provided by NXP, we never had any issue and i was able to flash the image properly.Later when we tried the same steps on a board with 512 MB, the Mfg image failed and it crashed while trying to flash the root file system into the eMMC storage. Any help is appreciated.

#iMX6ULL , #mfgtool error

Regards, Biju

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Biju

one can try to decrease cma size and rebuild mfg tool firmware with

new cma setting, changing cma size in dts file,

follow sect.6.2 Manufacturing Tool, MFGTool attached Yocto Guide.

Also may be recommended to run ddr test with new memory.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

bijunair
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the info.

The following is the output when Mfg-tool kernel is booting. 

Boot log

=======

"Memory: 172456K/524288K available (6901K kernel code, 322K rwdata, 2360K rodata, 392K init, 424K bss, 24152K reserved, 327680K cma-reserved, 0K highmem)"

What we see is, once the Mfg-image starts to create the rootfile system in our eMMC, after some time, it just hit a kernel panic. The crash logs are attached at the end.

So my question is, the size of the rootfile system before compression is around 200MB and after compression, it will become approximately 800 MB. As out system has only 512MB DDR, will it be an issue ? In that case splitting the root file system into multiple chunks and downloading them individually using manufacturing image, solve the issue ? Appreciate a response.

Crash logs

========

opt/ltp/testcases/bin/chroot01

opt/ltp/testcases/bin/waitpid08

opt/ltp/testcases/bin/mountns01

EXT3-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext3_valid_block_bitmap: Invalid block bitmap - block_group = 34, block = 740352

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00008d00

Regards, Biju

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Biju

from log: "327680K cma-reserved" - this may be too big for 512 MB system

so may be suggested to decrease it and rebuild mfg tool firmware with new cma setting.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

bijunair
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

How do i reduce the CMA memory ? In the DTS file ?

Regards, Biju

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Biju

yes

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

bijunair
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

I see a macro CONFIG_CMA_SIZE_MBYTES in defconfig file. Is this different from the DTS based resizing mechanism or both are the same ?

Regards, Biju

0 Kudos